• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon 105: Racing the Snake -- Anyone play it?

Hi there,
I'm the author of "Racing the Snake" in Dungeon 105 and was wondering how this module played for you? Any problems, questions or complaints? Any ... :D ... praises?
Thanks for your input!
John Simcoe

TeaBee

First Post
Our group enjoyed it. We played it with our Living Greyhawk characters (we're under the Ket region) for fun.

I can't think of anything specific really negative or positive at the moment, just that we had a lot of fun.

It had to be modified a little because the hook was kinda anti-baklunish, otherwise it would have fit right in to our area of Living Greyhawk.

I'd love to see more adventures in Dragon featuring Ket. Have you ever considered writing adventures for the Ket Triad, and the Living Greyhawk campaign?

Mighty Halfling said:
Hi there,
I'm the author of "Racing the Snake" in Dungeon 105 and was wondering how this module played for you? Any problems, questions or complaints? Any ... :D ... praises?
Thanks for your input!
John Simcoe

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm going to add my voice to the "haven't run it, but loved it" chorus. Honestly, I thought that both the conception and design were great. You don't see many adventures that actually force the PCs to use their heads instead of their swords/spells, and even less where it seems like you're railroading them. Kudos to you for an excellent adventure!

omnimpotent

First Post
I'm another one who reads more adventures than I can run, but I do recall reading yours and thinking it read well.

I though the chase dynamics were well laid out. The actions of the pursuing party were as well detailed as they could be for a published adventure where the character party would be unknown to the author. It was refreshing to see a cross-country "chase" style adventure, I have not seen very many of this type in print.

The story hook was plausible, with some solid backstory. And the Greyhawk references added color, but were not so intrusive as to make this a Greyhawk only adventure.

I would like to run the adventure one day, but my gaming schedule is filled for the near future. If you do have more adventures kicking around, dust 'em off and send them to Dungeon as well, because I for one would like to read 'em.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I ran it with my Stewardesses group (in case you haven't heard, I DM stewardesses. You may bask in my glory) and we had a blast. I adapted it for the "Oriental" portion of my Barsoom campaign setting, took out the "Wrong Turn" and a couple of the encounters ( Shocker Lizards, Water Mephit, Harpies) and completed it in a breathless four hours.

Good fun. I've posted the first portion in the Stewardesses Story Hour, linked below, and hope to complete that tale eventually.

I'd LOVE an adventure set at Felicia's wedding (hint, hint).

General thoughts: it was a good, fun adventure with a straightforward story hook and a good variety of encounters. The chase mechanic I didn't use at all -- I just had Maliss show up whenever things got too quiet. He was a good, creepy villain and the adventure generally speaking did a good job of working with personalities and places. It's one of my favourite adventures of recent Dungeons -- up there with "Heart of the Iron God" and "Tammeraut's Fate".

As you can see, I like the DIFFERENT ones. But I would welcome more adventures like "Snake". Good work, John!

There was a memorable encounter on the underground river as our heroines are speeding towards the falls while Maliss lurks behind their rowboat, firing arrows out of the blackness -- quick thinking, a nifty use of far hand and a torch and Wei-Yong's skill with a bow saved the day.

Remove ads