Dungeon #142

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Okay, here's the summary for Here there be monsters, with the spoiler tags like before.

The ship is wrecked on the northern shores of the Isle of Dread, just as the characters and the other surviving passengers climb onto the shore, they're ambushed by a T-rex. Then they've got to go on the journey to Farshore on the other side of the island, encountering various monsters on the way, including an outcast aranea anmed Lithira. And there's lots of terror birds (from the Fiend Folio. Along the way the characters pass through a 6 mile tunnel/Olmen ruin that is the Dark Mountain Pass. Then the party has to go through some cliffs and are ambushed by gargoyles. They pass through a mountain pass and pass by a Fogmire ruins. Apparently Demogorgon is popular around these parts, so he's got some demonic servants ambush the party and capture Urol. This is supposed to provide motivation (via some divination spells) to enter the shrine to Demogorgon not that far away from Fogmire. Meanwhile a cursed fog hangs overhead. Sidebars throughout the module at certain key places mention how the various NPCs react, and it adds an interesting touch. The new monster here is the Lemorian golem (CR 10).

As for Bright Mountain King
Long ago some legendary dwarven warriors from the dwarven city found a planar leak in the moutain that reached into the plane of Earth and was ripe with various jewels. But Moradin warned the dwarven hero not to pursue it any further, or else it would end badly. So the dwarves sealed it up tight like a vault. Centuries later, an evil elven druid has noticed how the dwarves have carved into the mountain, and now the druid (named Carradoc) thinks it's payback time. He knows about the vault and that opening it back up would spell the doom for the dwarven city. He sends some of his agents to manipulate the PCs into going to steal the key from the dwarven hero's tomb that will unlock the crypts. After Carradoc's minions get the key, the characters found out they've been duped and follow the baddies into a large cavern within Brightmantle. After going through various minions and other baddies, the characters confront Carradoc at the entrance to the planar rift.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Riding the rail by Christopher Wissel
Train rides in Breland are never as relaxing as they should be, especially when the trains being used to transport a monlith hauled from the mysterious depths of Xen'drik. An Eberron adventure for 5th level characters

Tides of Dread by Stephen s. Greer and Gary Holian
After defending the colony of Farshore from a pirate attack, the PCs learn the assault was but a prelude of things to come. They must prepare the colony for a larger attack, drawing only upon resources available to them on the Isle of Dread. A Savage Tide Adventure Path scenario for 9th lvl characters.

Backdrop: Farshore Stephen s. Greer and Gary Holian
The burgeoning colongy of Farshore needs your PCs' help if it's going to survive the perils of the Isle of Dread.

Mask of Diamond Tears by Nicholas Logue
When the PCs are called upon to investigte the theft of a strange artifact called the Mask of Diamond Tears, they face a deadly adversary indeed- themselves! A D&D adventrue for 13th level characters.

CryHavoc

First Post
Psychotic Jim said:
Okay, here's the summary for Here there be monsters, with the spoiler tags like before.

The ship is wrecked on the northern shores of the Isle of Dread, just as the characters and the other surviving passengers climb onto the shore, they're ambushed by a T-rex. Then they've got to go on the journey to Farshore on the other side of the island, encountering various monsters on the way, including an outcast aranea anmed Lithira. And there's lots of terror birds (from the Fiend Folio. Along the way the characters pass through a 6 mile tunnel/Olmen ruin that is the Dark Mountain Pass. Then the party has to go through some cliffs and are ambushed by gargoyles. They pass through a mountain pass and pass by a Fogmire ruins. Apparently Demogorgon is popular around these parts, so he's got some demonic servants ambush the party and capture Urol. This is supposed to provide motivation (via some divination spells) to enter the shrine to Demogorgon not that far away from Fogmire. Meanwhile a cursed fog hangs overhead. Sidebars throughout the module at certain key places mention how the various NPCs react, and it adds an interesting touch. The new monster here is the Lemorian golem (CR 10).

As for Bright Mountain King
Long ago some legendary dwarven warriors from the dwarven city found a planar leak in the moutain that reached into the plane of Earth and was ripe with various jewels. But Moradin warned the dwarven hero not to pursue it any further, or else it would end badly. So the dwarves sealed it up tight like a vault. Centuries later, an evil elven druid has noticed how the dwarves have carved into the mountain, and now the druid (named Carradoc) thinks it's payback time. He knows about the vault and that opening it back up would spell the doom for the dwarven city. He sends some of his agents to manipulate the PCs into going to steal the key from the dwarven hero's tomb that will unlock the crypts. After Carradoc's minions get the key, the characters found out they've been duped and follow the baddies into a large cavern within Brightmantle. After going through various minions and other baddies, the characters confront Carradoc at the entrance to the planar rift.

Yeah, but what are they all like? Is the Lost City sweet, is the dwarf adventure sweetly dwarfy? etcetc...

CryHavoc

First Post
Great Green God said:
Well, I liked it.

G-cube

You should... I must bow to you for doing so, many people do not go for re-hashes, but methinks that many of the classic locations need desperate updates. Kudos to you GGG!

Great Green God

First Post
CryHavoc said:
You should... I must bow to you for doing so, many people do not go for re-hashes, but methinks that many of the classic locations need desperate updates. Kudos to you GGG!

Spoiler alert!!! (Which for most folks should translate as: highlight the following to to see what I typed....)

Actually, it's not (in my opinion anyway) an update or a re-hash of the location. To my way of thinking trying to compete with a person's first run in with the Lost City, including my own some 20+ years ago, is a bit silly. The first time is always special, and to try and top it or just redo it would be the height of folly, I think. Tom Moldvay's original is pretty sublime, and although it is a bit rough in the middle (those lower levels), try explaining that to a 11-year-old their first time through. All that said though there were certain themes that I thought could be expanded upon and turned into a cool adventure/homage to the original. So while the adventure (I hope) feels like the original Lost City, it is a lot different structurally.

Regardless, I hope you find it fun,
G3

Last edited:

Remove ads