Dungeon 159 - Menace of the Icy Spire

catsclaw227

First Post
My players are about to head into a tropical/jungle area by ship. Looks to me like it'd be fairly easy to turn the "blizzard" skill challenge into a "typhoon" skill challenge. Hell, with the right description, it could be an "erupting volcano" skill challenge.
This is a neat feature of reusing skill challenges like this one. Start with an existing skill challenge that you would consider of the same category (extreme weather/storm), take the descriptions, make some alterations, change a skill requirement or two and there you go!

It is a neat little adventure. Lately, I wish I wasn't converting AoW for my group...

Hammerhead

Explorer
That level 3 solo looks too nasty, with two slam attacks doing good damage and two ice rays (also good damage) per round. It's definitely underleveled for the DPR it's going to dish out.

Neil Bishop

First Post
I was surprised that this was designed for 2nd level. As it stands, the adventure in the FR Campaign Guide will take a party to 2nd level and then they're ready for Sceptre Tower of Spellgard which takes a party to, IIRC, 5th level. I think it would have been better to design this as the next adventure in this unofficial series rather than overlapping with Sceptre Tower.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I was surprised that this was designed for 2nd level. As it stands, the adventure in the FR Campaign Guide will take a party to 2nd level and then they're ready for Sceptre Tower of Spellgard which takes a party to, IIRC, 5th level. I think it would have been better to design this as the next adventure in this unofficial series rather than overlapping with Sceptre Tower.

The unoffical FR adventure path. hmmm, maybe it is a conspiracy or somethang...

Neil Bishop

First Post
The unoffical FR adventure path. hmmm, maybe it is a conspiracy or somethang...

Well, considering one of the supposed design goals of FR4E is to make it easier to use as a campaign setting I would argue that it is entirely consistent with that goal for any adventures set around Loudwater to be designed for levels not covered by existing products.

Anyway, it's no big deal because advancing monsters and NPCs is so easy in this edition but I would 1. have done it differently and 2. explained on the website how to tie it in to the two published adventures as an example of "see how easy we have made things for FR DMs now". ;)

Shroomy

Adventurer
I only skimmed it last nite, but if the PCs win, don't they release a great evil on the world? Or did I miss something?

The former owner of the tower is still trapped in the Feywild, so destroying the gem won't release him. However, it does, mean that just about anyone can access the tower and its forbidden knowledge again.

Remove ads