• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Crawl -- Ideas Wanted --

Malicene

First Post
Hello,
I'm running a long term campaign for many years, with a lot of Role Play session, time to time I bring them into a "classical" dungeon crawl / hack and slash game.

This time, I want to send them into kind of maze ruled by Earth Elemental, Earth creature and Stone Golem.

Party is 13th level (average).

I'm looking for cool map, unusual Tarps, Encounter, Monsters ...
feel free to post any tought !! (even silly one :D my very own specialty ;) )

thanks in advance

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Moving walls, pushed on pivots by the stone golem and stone shaped in place by the earth creature. That way the maze is always changing.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Since most earth creatures can burrow pretty much at will, why do they need to have dungeons? :)

A changing maze is a cool idea, but gosh darn it isn't it hard to keep a track of?

Maitre D

apocalypstick

First Post
Just like kobolds, a dungeon isn't a dungeon without tricksy puzzles that make your players scratch their heads and argue with each other over the solution (especially when every time an incorrect solution is tried, clouds of poisonous sulphuric gas are vented into the room from the quasi-elemental plane of smoke).

Here's one:

Set in a 20' dead-magic zone (if your PCs have access to spells like passwall and the like) there is a gate forged of Ba'atorian Green Steel; beside the gate is a small box with four levers. From left to right, cne of the levers is made of Ruby, one is made of Sapphire, one is made of Onyx, and the last is made of Citrine. Finally, there is a diamond pushbutton above the levers. Only by pulling the correct levers will the gate be opened.

You could be really evil by putting a clue to another puzzle further beyond the gate, like a string of numbers to open a combination lock, before the characters get to the gate, and laugh as you watch them try to apply the string of numbers to the levers, ignoring the fact that yellow (citrine) and blue (sapphire) make green (the gate)....

Malicene

First Post
Maitre Du Donjon said:
Since most earth creatures can burrow pretty much at will, why do they need to have dungeons? :)
Maitre D

Good question ! in fact this "dungeon" is a place where a "near-god" is kept in, He/it have a strong relation with earth ! so I tought about Stone golem ! but as I asked ENBoarders I gave it a wider angle !! (for more ideas...)

A-M Guard : Illithid isn't a template ! Hopefully !! ( anyway I wouldn't trust a Ankh-Morporck Guard !:D "No sir got no bribe for you !" then quickly jump into the crowd (don't want to know AM jails..):D :D )

The Templated Kobolds is a good idea , fun challenge for 13th level !
Moving walls will fry player's brain :) as there is no mechanism ...(I know a Rogue who will turn mad !!)

Go on Sirs !!! waiting for more !! (know u can do better !)

Malicene said:
A-M Guard : Illithid isn't a template ! Hopefully !! ( anyway I wouldn't trust a Ankh-Morporck Guard !:D "No sir got no bribe for you !" then quickly jump into the crowd (don't want to know AM jails..):D :D )

Disturbingly enough, Half-Illithid IS a template. Its in the Fiend Folio, and (for me at least) was worth the price of the book just for that template...though now I'm getting ideas for Half-Troll Earth Elemental Kobolds... :D

Malicene

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Disturbingly enough, Half-Illithid IS a template. Its in the Fiend Folio
Half-Troll Earth Elemental Kobolds... :D

Ok ! Don't have it ( to be correct : only have the original one ! a kind of Relic now !)

Half-Troll Earth Elemental Kobolds : :) :) a pair of these monster should be cool (giving them a few Sorc level !!)

geezerjoe

First Post
I had an idea for an adventure set in the Scarred Lands where during the Gods' War one of the axe swings of one of the titans (can remember the name) inadvertantly cut through the lair of a venerable dragon and the dragon itself, killing it instantly.

The blood of the dragon and the little bits of blood from the god vs titan battle mingled and the spiders that lived there mutated from the "essence" of the bloods to make a whole host of spider type creatures (all different sizes, most intelligent, some psionic, etc).

You could use a simular vien with creatures in prolonged close proximity to the trapped god. This would allow you to take any base creature type (kobolds, badgers, muskrats, ropers (mr and mrs. (sorry couldn't resist -- showing my age here)), flightless birds, worms, etc.) and make any sort of strange and twisted creation from it. Like ... giant earth worms with 10 levels of psion ... thier goal? To free the other "normal creatures" that the god has enslaved in order to free him (the god). It ALMOST sounds plausable. ;)

anyway just my 2cents

l8r

Joe2Old

Remove ads