• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeon Crawl Party Advice

DefiantDan

First Post
I am a long time veteran of D&D that is about to start my first D&Dnext game. We've decided to just toy around in a dungeon crawl. The usual patrolling monsters, trapped rooms, hazards and room encounters to be expected. I was just curious what an optimal party would entail. it seems like this version heavily supports Fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard. All content is available for use, dm is quite favorable towards illusion rulings. None of us are tied to a class, we just want the best chances of survival in enemy territory.

I am a long time veteran of D&D that is about to start my first D&Dnext game. We've decided to just toy around in a dungeon crawl. The usual patrolling monsters, trapped rooms, hazards and room encounters to be expected. I was just curious what an optimal party would entail. it seems like this version heavily supports Fighter/rogue/cleric/wizard. All content is available for use, dm is quite favorable towards illusion rulings. None of us are tied to a class, we just want the best chances of survival in enemy territory.

I'm not sure that any classes are required, but in a dungeon crawl there are certain roles you need to fill:

1) Investigation skill: Anyone can have this, though Rogues, Lore Bards and Wizards are likely going to be better than anyone else
2) Perception skill: Rogues, Lore Bards, Clerics and Druids will probably be your best perception bet
3) Thieves tool proficiency: Anyone can get this through either the Criminal or Urchin background. Rogues start with it
4) Control Magic: Wizards and Sorcerers are particularly strong in this area
5) Melee capability: So many choices. Barbarians, Paladins and Fighters are kind of the obvious choice
6) Melee support: Rogues, Rangers, Valor Bards, Blade Pact Warlocks. All the guys who dish out damage, but need to be careful not to take too much.
7) Healing: 2 words: Healing Word. Any class that can get this spell can fill the role.

As said, lots of options. 5e tends to railroad you less than previous editions. Nobody has to play the Cleric anymore (though Clerics are pretty tough!)

bgbarcus

Explorer
Most of my group, including me, jumped from BECMI and AD&D 1e to 5e. The only big change in what makes a "balanced" party is that the thief from the old systems is replaced by anyone or more characters with the right set of skills. Other than that, whatever mix of classes sounds fun will work.

Remove ads