• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Geomorphs

JoeGKushner

First Post
I like props. Things that make my job as a GM easier as always welcome at my table. Over on the Necromancer forums, some people were talking about Dungeon Crawl Classics #9, Dungeon Geomorphs by Clayton Bunce. I hadn’t heard of this one before so went to Games Plus, my local store and picked up a copy.

It’s similar in size and pricing to other books in the series. Page count of 32 black and white pages for $10.99. The real kick though, is that there’s no adventure. Instead, we get pages and pages of maps.

This is simple. If you like the maps in previous Dungeon Crawl adventures, you’ll enjoy these maps. Each page has four mini-maps on it and each mini-map has eight entrances, two to a side. The maps are laid out next to each other in a fashion that allows them to interlink but if you look over all the maps, they all interlink. When copying them, the GM can move them around and change things about but they’re in essence, simple maps that are handy to have around.

Maps are broken up by categories; caves, castle, castle ruins, hallways and corridors, lairs, the underdeep, mazes, dungeons, old-style dungeons and temples. I don’t know what the big difference is between dungeons and old time dungeons, but it might have to do with some of the unusual shapes in the old-style dungeons. Thinks like rooms in the center of the map where the pathways leading to it are diagonal hallways or centers that are massive pits in the midst of the dungeon.

The maps due to their simplicity aren’t quite up there with say Green Ronin’s Dungeons of Doom, but they are simple and easy to use and populate. If you’re like me and have a fear of maps, they’ll come in handy as a quick mapping tool.

ASEO

First Post
This is the only of the DCC series I have yet to pick up. The reason, same as why I didn't buy the original Geomorphs( the nostalgia feel is why I think they made this set in the first place) when they came out back in the old D&D days, I can draw maps, and I just can't find the value in a set of geomorphs of this type. Now I have seen geomorphs used in the City of Lankmar set to add random sculptable back alleys. These on the other hand, require the DM to look at them, align them then add encounters to them. All stuff i can do on my own.

Now if they were color combat tiles I would be buying this in a heart beat, especially if they were combat tiles of encounter areas from the DCC series. Not having to draw out a map because I have a color scale one for play, that would save me time.

As it is, this is a product I will only be purchasing if I find it really, really cheap to complete my 20+ and growing DCC collection.

I give a great big thumbs up to Goodman games for the rest of the adventures in this growing series. This product is just the poor red-headed stepchild.

ASEO out

Remove ads