• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Lords - my first games

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Last week, I traded for the game Dungeon Lords, the latest game from Vlaada Chvatil (Galaxy Trucker, Through the Ages, Space Alert). In it, you play a Dungeon Lord who is trying to build a dungeon, competing with the other players for resources, and hiring monsters and building traps to hold off the adventurers who try to destroy your dungeon each year.

It's a game where you have to think: more than Trucker, perhaps a little less than Through the Ages (but not much more). It's best with four players and lasts about 90 minutes. It's also glorious.

I've just finished posting a series of session reports and musings on my first games of Dungeon Lords. If you're interested, here are the reports (each is illustrated with photos of the games):

* First Impressions
* Who needs money when you have tunnels?
* Those happy imps
* First full game - more fun, greater tension
* Three players introductory; not quite so good a game
* Final game of the weekend and thoughts on the game

Cheers!

Wycen

Explorer
I've played this once a couple weeks ago. I liked it, but it requires another play, and then probably another after that to get the book keeping down (tax and upkeep, whatever).

I think it certainly will get an expansion, so that you have new monsters to recruit and traps to get. Flipping over all the cards for the first time was probably the funnest part of the game, seeing what was coming and trying to figure out how we could use them or fight them.

Awesome reviews Merric. I've been looking at this game recently and have been really excited. The US release dates have been pushed back to February, so I'll be envying you guys more than being thankful until then, ;-)

Remove ads