• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon of the Fire Opal, Part VI

HeavyG

First Post
This thread continues the non-iconics adventure.

We're presently running a modified version of "Dungeon of the Fire Opal" from Dungeon magazine 84.

This is an in-character thread, which means that only the current players should post here. Any comment by non-players will have me asking a moderator to delete it.

Everybody is welcome to read the adventure and comment in the out-of-character (OOC) thread.

Enjoy !

Here are the characters.

Here is the fifth part of the adventure.

HeavyG

First Post
Non-iconics vs the bone creatures - round 3

Sollir Furryfoot said:
Sollir sees himself not doing much damage, and quickly chants a prayer, asking for luck upon his party...

(Bless, no move action)

The party is filled with courage and their morale lifts as Sollir finishes his incantation as the creature fighting Murhid flails uselessly at the agile monk. It then gets a whack of Kytess’ chain in answer. (Not very strong, though. Only 3 points of damage)

Meanwhile, to the south, Ubaar’s opponent is trying to claw his eyes out and poke his spleen out of his back. It manages to score a deep gouge on his neck, but the barbarian barely notices, enraged as he is. (7 points of damage)

Taz said:
Taz stabs the bone-thing again.

“Thanks, Jalon, I'm ok now.”

Plick. The dagger takes another chip of bone. (2 points of damage)

reapersaurus said:
Ubaar hears, and sees the others attacking the monsters while in the doorway and suggests - "Maybe you all could back up a step and lead the bone-sters into the hall?
Me 'n' Ivellios'll come up behind 'em once we finish up here."

Ubaar yells his fury at the bony monster in front of him, while putting his back into this (hopefully last) swing.

As Ubaar starts his mighty swing, he feels something tugging at his boot. It’s not distracting enough to make him miss his blow, however, and the large skeleton shatters from the impact. Looking down, Ubaar notices the clawed arm he broke off is trying to climb on his leg. He kicks it to the wall, where it stops moving. (9 points damage)

reapersaurus said:
If Ubaar fells the creature this turn, he'll breathlessly suggest to Ivellios, "Go help da others! They don't got as much Strength as us..."

Jalon Odessa said:
Jalon recoils from the impact of such a monstrous blow, and doubles-over, clutching his chest. Gasping for breath, he begs Tyr to mend his wounds.

The pain gradually fades away as Tyr’s power starts mending the wound. (9 points of healing)

Murhid said:
Murhid starts working his way down the boney monstrosity's body, sending two wide swings into its chest.
"Stay down you filthy thing!!"

With a well-placed kick, Murhid breaks the monster’s right leg. It falls on one knee but is still coming for the monk. (5 points damage)

Tail stinger still dripping with Jalon’s blood, that monster follows him into the hallway. Its stinger deflects off Jalon’s armor, but one claw finds its way to the cleric’s chest, just below the last wound. It hurts, but not as much as the last blow. (5 points of damage)

Doppleganger said:
After Ubaar drops the bone creature, Ivellios turns and charges back up the hallway, stopping at Jalon's side where he slashes at the humanoid in the doorway.

The skeleton staggers from the impact, but keeps coming. (5 points of damage)

As Ubaar turns to come help his comrades after making sure the skeleton isn’t getting up again, he sees the two doors to the west opening. Another pair of things get ready to step out.[/I]

(Map attached)

Initiative :
Sollir
Boney #3
Kytess
Boney #5
Taz
Ubaar
Jalon
Murhid
Boney #4
Boney #2
Ivellios

And the status of the party :

(S) Sollir Furryfoot : Hp(21/21) Bless (9 rounds)
(M) Murhid : Hp (14/21) Bless (9 rounds), 4 points of dexterity damage.
(T) Taz : Hp (13/19), Bless (9 rounds)
Sheela : Hp (9/9), Bless (9 rounds)
(I) Ivellios Nailo : Hp (35/35) Bless (9 rounds)
(U) Ubaar : Hp (24/34), Bless (9 rounds), Enraged (5 Rounds), Endure fire (12 hours), Magic Weapon (18 rounds), 2 points of dexterity damage
(K) Kytess : Hp (28/28) Bless (9 rounds), Endure fire (12 hours)
(J) Jalon Odessa : Hp (12/24) Bless (9 rounds), Endure fire (12 hours)

HeavyG

First Post
The map :

Attachments

• fire opal 42.jpg
    fire opal 42.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 389

Jalon Odessa

First Post
In retribution for the grevious wounds he's recieved, Jalon lashes out at the nearest creature with a mighty double-handed blow of his longsword.

[OOC: Jalon will stash his wand back in his belt, and make a double-handed attack, Power-Attacking for 1 point.]

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
Re: Non-iconics vs the bone creatures - round 3

HeavyG said:
As Ubaar turns to come help his comrades after making sure the skeleton isn’t getting up again, he sees the two doors to the west opening. Another pair of things get ready to step out.
OOC: Heavy: given what Ubaar sees of the situation, and these things' actions, is it possible that if we close these doors than the things might not be able to open them again (not have the smarts to)?
(I looked back, and I couldn't conclude if all the doors that the things are coming from were ajar at the beginning or not.)

Hopefully Heavy can answer before too many other people post their actions...

Taz

First Post
EDIT: Changing action...

Taz will look around for a suitable bone to use as a club, as big as she can handle and move there and pick it up. She'll use tumble to get there and also use her shield to her best protection (especially for her new position, whereever that may be).

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Kytess' face is calm, almost serene, as she continues to attack the creature, swinging her chain ever harder.

(Power Attack for 2)

Doppleganger

First Post
The elf slashes repeatedly at the boney creature, trying to lop off it's head. A maniacal grin spreads slowly across the barbarian's heavily-scarred face.

(OOC Dual-attacking B2 if it's still up, otherwise B3)

HeavyG

First Post
Re: Re: Non-iconics vs the bone creatures - round 3

reapersaurus said:
OOC: Heavy: given what Ubaar sees of the situation, and these things' actions, is it possible that if we close these doors than the things might not be able to open them again (not have the smarts to)?
(I looked back, and I couldn't conclude if all the doors that the things are coming from were ajar at the beginning or not.)

Hopefully Heavy can answer before too many other people post their actions...

No, it looks like they're the ones opening them. Only two were ajar at first (one of those still is). In fact, they would be hard to open (but not to close) from your side because the pull-rings are inside the doors.

And, for the record, they open towards the corridor, not inward.

Remove ads