• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Siege (Microsoft Games): Ever played?

Express

First Post
msd said:
Has anyone ever played this? Is it any good? I appreciate all responses.

Thanks in advance,
matt

I have. Its a pretty good game, although no the revolutionary rpg that it was touted to be when it originally came out. Its very much Diablo like hack n slash but in 3 D with a small party.

It has some nice features. However, although you have formations they really have little effect, unless a patch has changed this. You can pick a mule to carry your stuff whcih is nice.And you can learn both of the melee and magic styles so your charcaters can be tailored to your style. somewhat.

All in all its pretty solid IMHO.

Theres an expansion Legends of Aranea, which includes the original DS, and you can probably pick this up relatively cheap. I havent played the expansion.

Im looking forward to DS 2 myself.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
I picked it up when it first came out. The orginal game was VERY linnier, you had no options on where to go, AT ALL. You are at your farm, you get attack, you kiill the monsters, you go down the road, kill more monsters, you get to the town, buy stuff, go back onto the road out of town, kill more monsters. The road leads to a cave, you go into the cave, kill more monsters, come out the other side of the cave, go down the road, kill more monsters, get to the next town, ect.. The are no side paths to take what so ever. So I brought it back.

Chaz

First Post
I played it entirely through when it first came out. I enjoyed it a lot. It had the addictive elements of Diablo mixed with the -get through this screen to the next- feeling of a console game. But a lot more fun (for me ) than console games, which I dont like. The graphics are great and I like being able to seemlesly go from inside to outside, upstairs to down, outside to dungeon etc.. without pausing or loading new maps.

As I said I played it entirely through long ago. I recently bought the legends of arkadia wich had the original game in it again(had sold first copy) so im playing the first again before going on to the new one. And it only cost me $10 this time around(great deal). Im alomost through the underground goblin lair on the other side of the swamp,.

Im loving it again....

Be sure to fill out all the [places you can go on the maps... sometimes there are some surprise chests, mini dungeons etc. that you wont run into staying on the trail..

Have fun. I know I am, again.

Peace :)

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Good, but very linear, no options on where to go at all, at all. There are also some very decent mods available online.

The Auld Grump

Pasus Nauran

First Post
I bought it when it first came out. I expected a game along the lines of Diablo (as it seemed to be billed). The first thing I noticed was how linear it was (as others have said). This wasn't a great surprise, as the Diablo series was very linear as well.

However, what really turned me off of the game was how little diversity in characters there was. There are only four classes (and with the capability to have a party of characters, this is empasized over a 1-character game like Diablo): melee fighter, ranged fighter, nature magic user, and arcane magic user. Though I like the idea that any character can advance in any class (or combination thereof), the fact that there is no choice in style of progression was really disheartening. Whereas in Diablo II, you have the choice of which skills to progress in, in Dungeon Siege there are no skills per-se. There are different magic spells, but only 1 per level.

Combat also tends to play itself, due the fact there are few choices in what to do (a result of the lack of skills or styles).

As such, I quickly lost interest in the game. I'm interested to give Dungeon Siege II a try (when it's released) as these issues have apparently been addressed, but we'll have to see.

Just my $0.02.

kdanger

First Post
I have this game, and everyone has pretty much stated the obvious.

One question, I know that multiplayer was kinda jacked up, but did anyone try and play that much? It was completely seperate from the single player campaign. It was an interesting idea, just not great implemenation. It would have been fun to play with friends though.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Gameplay and Story

Linear Plot? You suggesting DS even HAD a plot?

As for a "very linear plot". I have to disagree here. There basically WAS no plot in Dungeon Siege. Without putting too fine a point on it - the opening plot of the game is "they killed my cow - the bastards!" You can play for a LOT of hours before the story even hints at emergence after that.

Suggesting that Dungeon Siege had much of a plot at all is being FAR too generous, IMO.

Art and Technical Innovation

Technically speaking, Dungeon Siege could be automated to the point where the game almost played itself. The GUI and gameplay was very iffy in that regard. This had better go the way of the dodo in DSII.

Otherwise, I honestly thought Dungeon Siege was mostly a complete waste of time. On the good side, it had a solid lighting engine which made the game look much better than the art really was (DS uses low res 256 textures). Also on the good side and in the vein of the action theme was the use of smooth transitions between areas in the game engine. That was about as good as GPG got in the engine design wars.

Outdoor environments look reasonably pretty, until you realize your walkable path in the game is extremely restricted and the camera angle is locked in isometric mode so you MUST ignore the man beind the curtain (as you cannot see him). In other words, GPG cheated and cheated a LOT to make the game look as good as it does.

It's editor was a pain to use and was a kludgey effort. What little there WAS of a Dungeon Siege mod community was destroyed when NWN was released a few months later (and DS found its way into the bargain bin and on to the shelves in the used games section in droves after NWN). The few artists that remained in the DS community and did not jump over to NWN ...well frankly I recruited most of them for my own NWN mod team at DLA.

Overall

DS is not a serious CRPG. It does not even rate as an Action/RPG in the Diablo /Sacred vein in my opinion. It is more akin to D&D Heroes - (which has its moments for younger players) but which is of marginal interest to the typical EnWorlder.

Silver Lining

All of the above aside, if you have kids who like hack n slash multiplayer (not Live, just multicontroller) games on the Xbox, Dungeon Siege is worthwhile. My 5 year old son loves it and I will purchase DSII for him to play on the Xbox.

But it certainly won't be for me.

Last edited:

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Though linear and extremely hack & slash I enjoyed the game and I really enjoyed the graphics. It will never make classic status but if you liked Diablo, NOX, and Divine Divinity then you should like this game. However, I found I could only play through it twice and that was about it. Still, it was a nice diversion. Oh, yes, and if you do play don't forget the mules...

Remove ads