• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Tiles Inventory System?

bryanlo

First Post
Hi guys, I recently picked up a few Dungeon Tile sets, and was wondering if any of you had a good inventory system to keep them organized?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
This is fairly difficult to do well.

I organize mine based on size. I then keep the 1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x4, 3x3, and 4x4 sizes in different plastic ziploc bags. Over time, I just sort of remember most of them and if I want a given tile, as long as I remember which bag it is in, I can then go to it. It does sometimes take a bit of time to sift through all of the tiles in the bag though since some of the bags have 20 to 40 tiles in them.

If you wanted to be even more organized, you could create an Excel spreadsheet with rows of different categories and names, and columns of which size it is.

That way, if you want a throne, you go down the row, see where throne is, and then find out that you have a 2x2 throne.

You could also split up the bags into different sizes and different categories.

For example, the throne is in the 2x2 furniture bag.

jgsugden

Legend
This is hard to do, but here is what I've done to sort my dungeon tiles, my old DDM tiles, my small maps and my dungeon decor:

1.) Sort them by setting type. I've got separate top tier groupings for forest tiles, swamp tiles, desert tiles, city tiles, dungeon tiles, water tiles and other tiles. If a piece can fit in more than 1 setting comortably, I keep it in the one in which I expect to use it the most. Each of these goes in a separate box.

2.) Each box is subdivided into ziplock bags (or smaller boxes) by a sub-theme. My forest box has a bag for foliage, another for rocks, another for statues, another for pits, etc... My dungeon box has a *lot* of smaller bags, and some of those bags contain even smaller sub-sub-bags when I want to further divide up the contents.

I make a list of which bags are in each box. However, I hardly ever need to look at the list.

When designing an encounter, I decide to start either with a blank surface or with a preexisting map (WotC, GameMastery, etc...) which I will modify with tiles.

I also have a small bin of 'go to' pieces that I like to have for quick access. These are things that may suddenly pop up in an adventure, such as a magic wall, a fire, a pit, darkness, etc...

buddhafrog

First Post
I go the route jgsugden uses.

I don't follow pre-made maps, and so exact size of a tile if far less important than what the tile would be used for. I also make tons of my own tiles found on the internet (newbiedm.com has a great blog post on how to do this). I've also tried boxes and expanding files, but zip-lock bags offer more variable room and importantly allows you to see through the bags while searching. My large zip-locks usually include one or two smaller zip-locks with more detailed organization, not all of which are listed here:

• dungeon hallways, all lengths. I keep a smaller bag in here separated with triangle and angle tiles
  • city tiles - buildings, carts, complete room. I might use a complete room in a dungeon, but I easily know to find them here
  • smaller dungeon features - such as doors, thrones, statues, rugs
  • large dungeon rooms tiles
  • effects - such as traps, pits, fire, broken walls, stairs, etc
  • curved Arcane Tower tiles
  • nature tiles
  • 3D tiles set

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads