Dungeoneers Survival guide 3.5?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Crothian said:
Dungeoncraft, also by Mearls, I found strong from cover to cover. Lots of good advice for DMs and players.

Dungeoncraft, like CityWorks, is one of those books I didn't immediately respect. After repeated use, though, I discovered that both are excellent products that are far more useful than I had expected.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
philreed said:
Dungeoncraft, like CityWorks, is one of those books I didn't immediately respect. After repeated use, though, I discovered that both are excellent products that are far more useful than I had expected.

My reaction has been similar in regards to Cityworks. I have used Fractal Mapper a lot more when doing cities because of that book! For some reason the idea of doing neighborhoods had never occured to me, and made mapping a whole lot easier. Used with The Fools city mapping tools for FM it has made a big difference.

Dungeoncraft looked interesting, but I use so few dungeons that I have not purchased it (yet).

The Auld Grump

Crothian

First Post
philreed said:

Ya, they grew on me as well. I like products like that.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi all-

Many thanks for the numerous recomendations, I will look into dungeon craft since I have their Cityworks book which was very good.

Frostburn is excellent, some really nifty items and monsters to chuck at your players. One of WoTC's best products this year.

Scott

Nellisir

Hero
Crothian said:
I don't own Underdark so I didn't want to list it not knowing exactly what is in it.

Underdark Adventures has some cool ideas, but it might just be Mike Mearls weakest book I've seen. To me it was very hit and miss, unlike most of his books.

I'll ditto this. Underdark Adventures is the closest in nature to the old Dungeoneer's Survival Guide (which is the only 1e book sitting on the shelf within reach, with my 3.5e books, so that should tell you what I think of it), but is (sorry Mearls) pretty dull. I haven't looked at it recently, but I recall feeling like it was nothing new - duergar are evil, drow are nasty, yawn yawn. Not alot of space given to anything really new and exciting.

Underdark, from WotC, has some great ideas and great material. Your utility will depend on your adherence to OGC, obviously.

I haven't looked at Dungeon or Dungeoncraft recently.

Goodman Games put out "Monsters of the Endless Dark", a bestiary of underdark monsters. I'll guarantee they're not what your players are expecting.

Expeditious Retreat Press has "Underground Monsters" (or somesuch) as a pdf, and possibly a print product. No pretty pictures, just lots of underground OGC monsters.

I do find it interesting the most unique environment in d20 is so neglected in products, though.

Cheers
Nell.

Remove ads