• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons at Origins

SigmaOne

First Post
Oh yeah, the people playing at the tables with electronic tools seemed to be dying frightening regularity. They rang a little bell for each death. It was kind of funny.

Were these the Codename: Morningstar tables? If so, they were doing Mines of Madness, I read. So, lots of death.

Melfast

Explorer
Origins - WOTC Presence Underwhelming and Disappointing

To the earlier point on death bells in the Morningstar demo -- I played in the Morningstar demo, and ran a couple of 13th Age sessions just outside the ballroom where WOTC was running their demos and Morningstar was also being demo'd, and there were death bells a plenty when we played and I could hear them while I was running my games. They told you when you started not to get too attached to your character and that if you died you'd be able to roll up a new one in a trice and get back in the game (and the software did make it a quick process).

On to my major point -- WOTC's presence at Origins was a major disappointment and looked poorly put together to me. Compared to Gencon last year, they were nearly invisible. I did not see any posters or advertising in the building encouraging you to come try out the game. The area they were playing almost looked deserted, with none of the things you'd expect from a major game company bringing out their signature product. Unlike Gencon, there were no castle walls, no large creatures, no merchandise sale area, etc. Really underwhelming. I've been to Origins in years past, and their presence was much larger and more well put together.

Mearls and company gave two presentations on Saturday on 5e, and they were just in a corner of the anteroom outside a Ballroom with about 20 chairs set-up in front of a table in a corner. No DND flash or cool stuff to catch your eye and tell you what was going on. There was no big push to come hear them, etc. from what I could tell. I was running my games at the time they gave their presentations (though in the same area), so I could not attend. However, I could see them on the other side of the room. Again -- no big displays, advertising, etc. for what I would think would be a major push to excite people at the second largest gaming convention in the country. At Gencon last year, these kinds of seminars were hyped and very well attended.

Pathfinder had multiple ballrooms of packed players, signs, posters, etc. Shadowrun was everywhere, advertised all over the convention center, and very well attended. Multiple companies had pushes out for less known games. The gaming on demand room was busy. This tells me that while Origins may have a reputation as a board/tabletop/war gaming convention, there are a lot of RPG gamers there looking for games and DND could have had a huge presence. It seems like a major opportunity to engage with gamers and media, etc. and get us excited to play DND was lost.

darjr

I crit!
I think any WotC presence at Origins is up from what it's been before, for a long time now.

To my recollection any WotC people there were usually there for personal reasons. I could be wrong but that's the news I remember.

sidonunspa

First Post
I think any WotC presence at Origins is up from what it's been before, for a long time now.

To my recollection any WotC people there were usually there for personal reasons. I could be wrong but that's the news I remember.

Not quite,

During Lg days they had a huge presence and even had special one time events.

enigma5915

Explorer
WOTC had a lack luster showing at GAMA trade show this year as well. What energy they had went to Magic the gathering. Being its just about the release of 5E and the 40 year anniversary of D&D... I expected much more. They came across like a second rate company with a ho hum product. Kinda sad. I remember the 30th year anniversary for D&D at GAMA, it was pretty amazing

darjr

I crit!
Not quite,

During Lg days they had a huge presence and even had special one time events.

I just meant the last few years. Couple of years? I didn't mean back that far. I know their presence used to be much greater. But I don't think they were there at all last year or the couple of years before that or even much of 4e's run.

I'm quite pleasantly surprised they talked about D&D at all at Origins and hope it means more participation in the future.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Pathfinder had multiple ballrooms of packed players, signs, posters, etc. .

To the best of my recollection (which may not be accurate) I thought Paizo mentioned they had for the most part pulled out of Origins years ago due to some issues they had with that convention. Are you sure you were not seeing stuff put up by fans, and not Paizo itself? I think Paizo also said they refuse to submit things to their awards ceremony as well (but again, could be wrong on that).

WOTC had said they had pulled out of Origins several years ago as well. It's not Paizo or WOTC, it's that convention that caused them to withdraw their support - I guess there were some issues. Apparently it is now under new management and people were testing the waters again lightly to see if it is worth supporting again.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
WOTC had a lack luster showing at GAMA trade show this year as well.

GAMA is Origins - same organization. If my recollection is accurate, both Paizo and WOTC had some issues with the organization prior to new management taking over and both remain somewhat hesitant to dive back in.

Remove ads