• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons at Origins

exile

First Post
I never understood this train of thought.... I don't know how many games I've played in that didn't have a cleric or anyone with healing powers. We always just carried healing potions, or simply ran away from the fight if we started getting trounced. Worst case scenario, someone dies and you just drag them back to town for a resurrection.

Losing a character-- even if they can be raised/resurrected-- almost always hurts my enjoyment of playing that character. In a home game, I would almost certainly prefer to just start a new character. In organized play campaigns, I pay for the raise (if I have the funds) and keep on playing, but man does it sting.

gyor

Legend
If fighters can heal it will likely be as a Warlord subclass. No need for Dealbreaker talk, just ban the Warlord subclass at your table.

One healer I find funny is a Wizard with a level in cleric, for cure spell, which basically allows him to cast 9th level cure spells making him a descent healer. Awesome.

One thought is if as has been hinted at in the past the Sorceror gets Favoured Soul as a subclass, the sorceror could make a great healer, converting sorceror points into extra cure spells or possible adding metamagic to cure and healing word spells. I really hope this is an option.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
One area from the recent playtest where I think simplicity may go too far (for my personal tastes-- but is still by no means a dealbreaker) is poison damage. I liek poison to be dangerous. I like for it to do ability score damage or to, at least, do damage over time. In the Origins playtest, my ranger played at being a rogue (after the rogue had to leave prematurely) and got himself poisoned. This did 6 HPs of damage. It was easily cured by our cleric. I personally would have liked for it to have been more dangerous. I am anxious to see if the DMG features any optional rules for poison.
Did your character get poisoned as in hit by a poison attack/drinking poison, or did he acquire the Poisoned condition? In previous editions, that could be different things. Some poisons killed outright, some did damage at a later time, some cost abilities, and some just did additional hp damage. Saying the damage was from poison is mechanically important in regards to some targets being immune or resistant to poison.

I expect different poisons will have different effects in 5E as well, and some will and some won't cause the target to acquire the condition, maybe depending on save.

exile

First Post
Did your character get poisoned as in hit by a poison attack/drinking poison, or did he acquire the Poisoned condition? In previous editions, that could be different things. Some poisons killed outright, some did damage at a later time, some cost abilities, and some just did additional hp damage. Saying the damage was from poison is mechanically important in regards to some targets being immune or resistant to poison.

I expect different poisons will have different effects in 5E as well, and some will and some won't cause the target to acquire the condition, maybe depending on save.

Tikey Clif, halfling ranger (and wannabe rogue), pricked his finger on a poison needle trap and suffered 6 HPs of damage.

I role-played drooling, turning purple, and staggering toward the enemy swords drawn, until the cleric cast CLW, restoring me to full HPs.

I never understood this train of thought.... I don't know how many games I've played in that didn't have a cleric or anyone with healing powers. We always just carried healing potions, or simply ran away from the fight if we started getting trounced. Worst case scenario, someone dies and you just drag them back to town for a resurrection.

Equally, I've never understood the kind of D&D setting where you always have healing potions by the bucketload and could buy them in normal shops (looks like 5E is moving this way somewhat, to be fair, what with healing potions in the equipment list), and where you casually drag dead people back town, where, automatically, there is a cleric of sufficient power and complete willingness to raise/resurrect them.

enigma5915

Explorer
Yeah, my campaigns don't have easy access to potions unless they are created by the party. Same with resurrection... Its not waiting there to be used. Death is a real concern in my games. Otherwise victory just would seem to be a big deal if the consequences weren't there.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Yep, like [MENTION=60095]enigma5915[/MENTION], my games simply don't feature the shopping trolley of potions, nor the easy access to resurrection...that stuff is extremely rare.

MI's in our games are rare and valued and we have always played like that...other than a little of follow the standards in 4E, which took a lot of the 'magic' away for us.

We have played in games of all editions with and without clerics, with and without other healers, and without healing full stop. Every game was different, but we never had any problems that seem to be debated constantly now. You could do what you could do. Make do with it. (Feeling very Austin Powersy writing those lines ;)). And yes, running was an option (one I have not seen in a long time) :(.

Either way though, whatever 5E contains, we will work it out. :)

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6670153]gyor[/MENTION], Yes! I would love to see the return of the Favoured Soul. (I am just writing the rules for such an inclusion of our own **Bashed & Borrowed** system largely based off Savage Worlds).

I think a sorcerer channeling divine power/blood would be interesting.

Reading my own post does anyone else think a Favoured Soul subclass for Sorceror with its sorceror points would be really cool?

That does seem like a good idea. Of course it could already be in there, as I don't think we know all the Sorceror options yet, do we?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads