• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dungeons and Dragons at Origins

Sadras

Legend
Resurrections need to have a greater cost attributed to it to placate the God of Death for losing a soul/subject. Those willing to be part of the ritual (Donors) will be subject to the cost.
1) 6 Ability points (one of each category), and usually the highest point amongst all those being part (donors).
2) 1 Permanent hit point from each Donor.
3) Age/Experience must be made up by the Donors, split in equal portions.

These costs are just for starters and I'm surprised these costs are not mandatory in the game already. They make sense and it would certainly reflect why Resurrection rarely occurs.

Last edited:

Sir Hawk

First Post
Equally, I've never understood the kind of D&D setting where you always have healing potions by the bucketload and could buy them in normal shops (looks like 5E is moving this way somewhat, to be fair, what with healing potions in the equipment list), and where you casually drag dead people back town, where, automatically, there is a cleric of sufficient power and complete willingness to raise/resurrect them.

Healing potions by the "bucketload" and "automatic" clerics are both the DM's call. Despite what I implied earlier, now that I think about it, I've never run or been in a game where either of those things existed. I usually only have such clerics in very large cities in my games (and they cost a boatload of GP to hire), and at most, in said city, the party would be able to buy maybe 2 or 3 healing potions. Usually the issue never comes up, though, because 90% of the time the players run away from the fight when they realize the fight's not going their way and someone is about to get killed.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Yeah, my campaigns don't have easy access to potions unless they are created by the party. Same with resurrection... Its not waiting there to be used. Death is a real concern in my games. Otherwise victory just would seem to be a big deal if the consequences weren't there.
The only time I've seen raise dead/resurrection used was once the party had hit 13th level and had access to resurrection themselves. Before that, death is just an excuse to make a new character.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
To the best of my recollection (which may not be accurate) I thought Paizo mentioned they had for the most part pulled out of Origins years ago due to some issues they had with that convention. Are you sure you were not seeing stuff put up by fans, and not Paizo itself? I think Paizo also said they refuse to submit things to their awards ceremony as well (but again, could be wrong on that).

Paizo has been dipping its toes back into the Origins pool over the last couple of years. We're a show sponsor, and have gaming areas in the RPG area and in the board game area (focusing on the Adventure Card Game).

We have officially pulled out of the Origins Awards due to years of mismanagement. When the awards are fixed, we may revisit submitting products to them again.

The current GAMA executive director has done a great job turning around the GAMA Trade Show (which we also gave up on at one point), and while Origins itself is a larger, more difficult ship to turn than the small trade show, we see signs of progress and continue to support the show a little more each year.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo

Erik Mona

Adventurer
On the main stairway off the main exhibit area, there was a big Paizo symbol projected up on the wall, and the RPG gaming area had Paizo posters and such, although mainly/all in front of their gaming rooms. Not sure what the rules are for using the Paizo name for their fan organized Pathfinder Society stuff, but it seemed more official. They had the most events running from what I could see with events running up to 6pm on Sunday. If I recall correctly, they were pretty much all the RPG ticketed sessions on Sunday (there were a few others before lunch I think).

Yes, all of that stuff is a result of our sponsorship. I was at the show this year and even had a chance to play a couple Pathfinder Society events. It was great! :)

--Erik

Erik Mona

Adventurer
heh, looks like paizo and wotc folks hung out together at the con as well. good to see.

I took Mearls and Rodney Thompson to White Castle, because we are buddies. Depending on your perspective, that was either a symbol of friendship and respect or the world's most canny bit of corporate poisoning on record. :)

--Erik

Remathilis

Legend
I took Mearls and Rodney Thompson to White Castle, because we are buddies. Depending on your perspective, that was either a symbol of friendship and respect or the world's most canny bit of corporate poisoning on record. :)

--Erik

White Castle. WotC and Paizo are opposites. The opposite of White is Black. White + Black = Gray.

Paizo is making Castle Greyhawk for 5th edition. Mona, you magnificent bastard I READ YOUR BOOK!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I know, right? The mind reels at the possibilities of a version of Castle Greyhawk written by me, James Jacobs, and Jason Bulmahn.

Such a product would surely be awesome. And unforgettable!

Here's hoping we could ever be so lucky as to live in a world where such an impossible dream were made tangible!

--Erik

sidonunspa

First Post
Erik,

with the new licencing structure, you never know till you try....

you all at Paizo and WoTC had a good working relationship for years...

I know, right? The mind reels at the possibilities of a version of Castle Greyhawk written by me, James Jacobs, and Jason Bulmahn.

Such a product would surely be awesome. And unforgettable!

Here's hoping we could ever be so lucky as to live in a world where such an impossible dream were made tangible!

--Erik

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads