• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons Editions: Where Do You Stand?

Which version of DnD Do You Prefer More Than Any Other?

• D20 Fantasy Variant: Conan, Pathfinder, etc.

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • 2008: 4th Edition

Votes: 173 42.9%
  • 2003: D&D v.3.5E

Votes: 103 25.6%
  • 2000: D&D v.3.0E

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 1997: Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1989: ADnD 2nd Edition

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 1983-86: BECMI

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • 1981: Basic & Expert Set

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 1977-79: ADnD v. 1.0

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • 1977: Basic

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 1974: ODnD

Votes: 5 1.2%

Darkwolf71

First Post
1e. I love the classic adventures. The non-mini-focused combat. The way in which the rule books were written. (Not so much the way they were organized, but I remidied that by memorizing much of the relevant information and the location of everything.)

I'll play any edition, but I loves me some 1st.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Of all of 'em, I think the most certian I can be is that I think 2E was the weakest variation.

Sacrilege!

/starts new edition war
/ends new edition war, as it is futile. Morrus is right

None the less, I love 2e still. If only I had kept my 60 pages of houserules...

JeffB

Legend
I voted B/X (1981)- def my fave version of the game even though I started a few years prior.

I'll play anything and I enjoy all editions as a player, but I can't/won't DM 3.x anymore (barring the basic set for my son).

Psion

Adventurer
I may end up liking Fantasy Craft and Pathfinder for my fantasy gaming better than 3.5. But for the moment, that remains to be seen. I like the metasetting and material for 3.5 (and prior edition material that is portable to it but NOT as portable to 4e), but it remains to be seen how much of this Pathfinder can plug into. The OGL made 3.5 a vast, diverse, fulfilling experience for me, and if Pathfinder isn't highly portable to that, then it won't be worth as much to me.

Fantasy Craft looks to have the sort of skill system-centricness that I wish 3.5 had and 4e moved even further away from. But I know out of the starting gates it's going to be even less portable to existing D&D and D20 material than Pathfinder.

4e, though it does a few interesting things, has done too many things wrong for my tastes.

Jackelope King

First Post
I voted 4e, but to clarify: 3.X of any flavor (including all the variants) or 4e... they're all pretty good games. I can't pick a favorite from this bunch. Pathfinder and 4e both still have a chance to wow me.

Older editions I'm basically done with. I'd pass on games being run for one of those editions.

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
My games:

True20
Conan D20
Pathfinder

All my bases are covered. Honestly there is enough 3.5e/OGL material already available for me to DM games for the system for the rest of my natural life and if indeed I opt for lichdom I can probably extend that time to another full human lifetime easily. Maybe after that I'll go back to D&D...30th edition. :lol:

Wyrmshadows

Ant

First Post
For the last year or so OD&D has been my flavour of choice. 3.5 follows close behind with BECMI nipping at 3.5's heels in third place.

I've played in about seven 4e games now and, unfortunately, I'm liking it less and less the more I play. Fortunately the DM and group are all excellent so the fun factor is still high.

2e still wins the wooden spoon award, of course. Poor 2e.

Edit: Forgot to add that Pathfinder will likely take the place of 3.5 soon.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads