• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons Editions: Where Do You Stand?

Which version of DnD Do You Prefer More Than Any Other?

• D20 Fantasy Variant: Conan, Pathfinder, etc.

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • 2008: 4th Edition

Votes: 173 42.9%
  • 2003: D&D v.3.5E

Votes: 103 25.6%
  • 2000: D&D v.3.0E

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 1997: Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • 1989: ADnD 2nd Edition

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • 1983-86: BECMI

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • 1981: Basic & Expert Set

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 1977-79: ADnD v. 1.0

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • 1977: Basic

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • 1974: ODnD

Votes: 5 1.2%

I voted "Variant" because we are using Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might (I and II), or something very close, in all three of my home games. I really like it and will continue to use it.

fba827

Adventurer
When playing I don't really have a preference. But having said that, part of my enjoyment is from reading new stuff, and 4e simply has more new stuff since it's new... hence, that is the edition I turn to for new stuff.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
2008: 4th Edition
This was my pick. Am playing currently and enjoying it.

2003: D&D v.3.5E
We are wrapping up a game of this (heavily modified with C&C). And I have to say that I am pretty sick of it. I think this system really breaks down for me after about level 8 or so. That being said I would play it again, but only using some variant similar to E6.

2000: D&D v.3.0E
Played a lot. This is the version that brought me back to D&D. Won't play again.

1997: Rules Cyclopedia
Never played

1989: ADnD 2nd Edition
Played a bit of Dark Sun, but only a session or two. Would not play again.

1983-86: BECMI
Never played.

1981: Basic & Expert Set
Never played.

1977-79: ADnD v. 1.0
Played a fair bit of this back in High School. Got sick of it around my junior year and discovered things like Call of Cthulhu, Runequest and Champions. Never looked back. It would take about another 18 years before I would seriously play D&D again.

1977: Basic
This was my gateway into RPGs.

1974: ODnD
Never played.

Graybeard

Explorer
I've played AD&D 2nd edition, D&D 3E, D&D 3.5E, and recently D&D 4E (Keep on the Shadowfell). I prefer to play/run 3.5E out of all those. 4E feels too much like a tactical wargame than a fantasy roleplaying game. A couple of my regular players also plyed Keep on the Shadowfell and felt the same way.

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
3.x was my edition of choice for quite awhile.

As a DM, I had a conversion experience this summer after 4e was released. I was REALLY excited for 4e as I had been burnt out on 3.x for about a year when 4e was announced. I even liked it in hand and on paper. But in play, it just didn't do it for me. I was just frazzled and exhausted after each session.

However, its announcement got me looking at previous editions again in a new light; BECMI and Rules Compendium just worked in a way I hadn't really considered. We decided to give it a go after the rather lackluster sessions we had with 4e. My group has played a handful of sessions with it, and have had a blast. It really fits my DMing style and my group's taste.

As a player, I think I'd enjoy all of them.

Hussar

Legend
I think the poll shows pretty much exactly what it was supposed to show, considering the root it was forked from. Lisa Stevens made a comment that ENworld had firmly planted its flag in 4e.

This poll shows that not to be quite the case. Rather EnWorld is pretty balanced between the user group, with perhaps the 4e group appearing somewhat more dominant because the other groups are so fractured. Once you get a number of 4e variants out there (and they will come), I think this will spread out even more.

Greg K

Legend
Maybe Lisa should have noted the poll showing that of the 1000 or so participants 28+% haven't even tried 4e, another 21+% tried 4e and went back to something else. So that's nearly half the particpants not playing 4e (currently, as some of the non 4e people planned to try it at some point). Then, there was another 15-20% playing 4e and some other edition.

I think the poll shows pretty much exactly what it was supposed to show, considering the root it was forked from. Lisa Stevens made a comment that ENworld had firmly planted its flag in 4e.

This poll shows that not to be quite the case. Rather EnWorld is pretty balanced between the user group, with perhaps the 4e group appearing somewhat more dominant because the other groups are so fractured. Once you get a number of 4e variants out there (and they will come), I think this will spread out even more.

Maybe Lisa should have noted the poll showing that of the 1000 or so participants 28+% haven't even tried 4e, another 21+% tried 4e and went back to something else. So that's nearly half the particpants not playing 4e (currently, as some of the non 4e people planned to try it at some point). Then, there was another 15-20% playing 4e and some other edition.

I have to LOL (Really, not just a saying I laughed out Loud) when I saw the results that I did...
View Poll Results: Which version of DnD Do You Prefer More Than Any Other?
D20 Fantasy Variant: Conan, Pathfinder, etc. 60 10.93%
2008: 4th Edition 277 50.46%
2003: D&D v.3.5E 100 18.21%
2000: D&D v.3.0E 16 2.91%
Voters: 549. You have already voted on this poll

it looks to me like enworld voters are 1/2 for 4e...and 1/3 staying with 3e in one way shape or form. 17 and 1/2 % are with older editions. I guess this is a very diverse group afterall.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Both to DM and play, my edition of choice is (no surprise here) 1e, modified with the houserules I and others have spent so many years designing. :)

That said, 4e wins in one category: one-offs or convention games where you've only got 4 hours and you only care about getting started and beating the adventure at hand.

As for my history:

OD+D - never played*
Basic-Expert-etc. - never played*
1e - for the win!
2e - never played, but bought lots of material for adaptation
3e - played for some time, wasn't all that impressed
4e - have the PH, DMG, H1, H2, but have not played.

* - though I somewhat sacreligiously kinda mush those both into 1e in my mind, as they're so compatible; I've run gobs of Basic-Expert adventures, for example, in my 1e games and never really noticed they weren't true 1e until later...

Lane-"posting in the very late evening, Pacific time, as usual"-fan

Dimitris

First Post
3.5e / Pathfinder

for a number of reasons

1) 4e is incompatible with 3.5e and I prefer to add worlds and material to my library instead of new versions;
2) 3.5e is a flexible system and it could be upgraded by fixing its weak topics;
3) 3.5e is an open system (due to OGL) while 4e is controlled by one company and it could be supported for ever by companies or creative people;
4) 3.5e is currently supported (Pathfinder RPG);

Dimitris

Remove ads