'Dungeons & Dragons' fights for its future

Brown Jenkin

First Post
MSNBC just posted an article on 4e called 'Dungeons & Dragons' fights for its future.

While it doesn't say 4e is an online game, the article could leave that impression to those not paying close attention. It also briefly covers that the reception has been mixed and that Paizo is not supporting it.

The best part is that the article cribs the April 1st old school artwork. And no this is not an April first gag, but a real story.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Too bad that this is coming out today and all the people will hit the April Fool's version of WotC's site. They may want to revert it back to the regular site.

And fighting for the life of the game? I don't think so. Hmm, count on the mainstream media to oversensationalize and try to sell negativity...

Lord Xtheth

First Post
I don't think D&D will die to online games.

I mean, I make next to nothing at my job, yet I still play City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and have a extensive collection of Palladium Books, Wite Wolf book, and of cource D&D books. I'm talking actual books too, not pirated downloads.

D&D will always have a place in the hearts of Nerds everywhere. D&D is synonymous with Nerd. So long as Nerds exist, there will be D&D

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Lord Xtheth said:
I don't think D&D will die to online games.

I mean, I make next to nothing at my job, yet I still play City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, and have a extensive collection of Palladium Books, Wite Wolf book, and of cource D&D books. I'm talking actual books too, not pirated downloads.

D&D will always have a place in the hearts of Nerds everywhere. D&D is synonymous with Nerd. So long as Nerds exist, there will be D&D
Yep, here here. My wife has suggested I sell my 3.0 books to pay for 4.0. She even joked and said I could keep my 3.5 books until 4.5 comes out.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Yeah, I'd say that D&D is in no danger of dying. That article makes it sound like D&D is moving entirely to an online platform and making the tabletop form history, which is simply not true. I doubt if 1/3 of what they make on 4e will be from DDI.

Surgoshan

First Post
It was kind of disturbingly retarded. It focused exclusively on the online content, about which we know very little, and ignored everything else about the game. Particularly the fact that it still has a large and devoted following.

Remove ads