Dungeons & Dragons has 15 Million Players in NA Alone; Storyline Is "The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs o

Interesting. The following tidbit has me excited about the new storyline: “The Stream of Many Eyes” ... story — which will be revealed on June 1 — was described by one D&D staffer as 'The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs of New York.'”

Interesting. The following tidbit has me excited about the new storyline:

“The Stream of Many Eyes” ... story — which will be revealed on June 1 — was described by one D&D staffer as 'The Da Vinci Code meets Gangs of New York.'”

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's fairly easy to hire an independent market research firm to find out the information you want. It's what they do for a living; they're very good at it. There's a thousand different ways to gather the data and a thousand different ways to process it.

gyor

Legend
The thing that really freaks me out is live tickets to the stream is $400 American for each gaming group, that's insane, if they think they can get $400 per ticket, then I believe its as popular as they say it is.

Imagine how much more popular it will be if the next D&D movie is wildly sucessful.

As for Gangs of New York meets Da Vinci Code in Waterdeep, I'm utterly baffled. Could it be some kind of Thieve Guild warfare? I don't know much about the movie Da Vinci Code.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The thing that really freaks me out is live tickets to the stream is $400 American for each gaming group, that's insane, if they think they can get $400 per ticket, then I believe its as popular as they say it is.

Imagine how much more popular it will be if the next D&D movie is wildly sucessful.

As for Gangs of New York meets Da Vinci Code in Waterdeep, I'm utterly baffled. Could it be some kind of Thieve Guild warfare? I don't know much about the movie Da Vinci Code.

I don’t know how much effect that would have. It’s not like superhero RPGs are the biggest names right now.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

Maybe we'll see a Waterdeep at the brick of civil war, with many factions from the city itself and Undermountain fighting each other in the streets, while in the background, using the chaos as a cover, a group tries to do big bad evil things. The party would need to ''delve'' the city, finding clues while avoiding or helping the factions. If there's on thing Waterdeep has, its factions ready to drop the gloves against each other.
- The Masked Lord
- The Xanathar's guild
- The Zents
- Blackstaff crew + the Harpers
- The new Drow enclave (people would not like to have Drow as neighbors)
- Red Wizards enclaves
- Luskan infiltrators
etc etc etc

A battle-royal between the factions in the city while the PC do their adventurin' would be awesome. And its easy to insert in different setting; each setting as at least one mega-city with a bunch of factions that dont like each others (Eberron comes to mind)

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Just spitballing, the "Gangs of New York" probably means faction politics (which Waterdeep is ride with, as is well known among the gamer publice from "Lords of Waterdeep"), while "Da Vinci Code" angle probably means there are puzzle elements leading to some world changing secret.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's fairly easy to hire an independent market research firm to find out the information you want. It's what they do for a living; they're very good at it. There's a thousand different ways to gather the data and a thousand different ways to process it.
WotC has even alluded to using such resources, being part of a multi-billion doar corporation.

Wulffolk

Explorer
And based on my observations, the 40% mark is accurate or maybe even a little low.

Hey, guess what? Neither your personal observations nor mine mean a damn thing in this case, because individual anecdotes are not data, and outliers are a thing. A common thing, even.

I swear to Boccob, it's like people have never even heard of statistics.

Personal observations are the reason for my skepticism. I did not present them as hard data by which to call out WotC for some grand conspiracy. However, companies are infamous for presenting skewed data to improve their image with the public. They would like more female players. What better way to make it appear to be socially acceptable to women than by pointing out how many women already play the game?

I swear by Odin (or insert whatever fictional god you prefer) that people have never even heard of the rights of others to have an opinion (especially when it is different than their own).

People are too damned sensitive these days. Skepticism in moderation is healthy. It means you think for yourself rather than blindly accepting everything that you are told.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I always figured a good way to do it would be to ask “have you ever rolled a d20?” on a popular cereal packet. Although you’d need to know it was a representative brand of cereal!

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

Its a weekly thing here and the usual suspects all pop out to pat themselves on the back lol.

I mean are some peoples lives that great that a weekly thread on how great 5E is doing is the highlight of their week or something? I don't recall threads like this when 3.0 was on top and doing well. Does Morrus need to contact WotC to get some poms poms with Mearls face on it for the weekly cheer leading squad to lead chants about it.

Eventually 5E will die or 6E will come out or the sun goes supernova etc etc etc.

Ouch. Its been a while since you have been this nasty. At least you are able to laugh about it.

This whole website was about 3E self-congratulation. It just ended sooner thanks to 3.5.

But we usual suspects have kept doing this because from the very beginning there were posters saying that 5e success was all some mirage and any day now it would all come crashing down . And they where always wrong. They continue to be wrong. They will post in the future, and still be wrong.

But not you Z, you are always right.

Remove ads

Remove ads