• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons: Is anything essential?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
TheYeti1775 said:
There is only one essential thing.

PLAYERS

Without them, the game ceases.
So if 4E was GURPS, you wouldn't bat an eye? I find that hard to believe.

I'd say the D20, levels, classes, multiple races, inhuman foes, the notion that there are subterranean areas full of stuff to fight.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
So long as the next edition desn't look anything near like True20 or Star Wars Saga and retains some elements that have been the concept of dnd since the beginning of dnd, I'll be a happy camper.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
So if 4E was GURPS, you wouldn't bat an eye? I find that hard to believe.

I'd say the D20, levels, classes, multiple races, inhuman foes, the notion that there are subterranean areas full of stuff to fight.
QFT.

SavageRobby

First Post
Arnwyn said:
Classes, IMO. D&D has to remain a class-based system, AFAIC. (Maybe even levels, too.)

I would have said the same thing once upon a time, but the way the class system in 3x is used is ridiculous. Once upon a time the idea of a character's class was that it reflected their vocation - something they spent years (if not most of their youth) learning. Multiclassing was (typically, but not always) left to races with longer lifespans, and dual classing wasn't an easy proposition, game-wise. Now classes are just templates to heap on abilities with a slight nod to the vocation in question, and you see characters with five, six or more classes, quite often with completely nonsensical combinations.

If that is the way of the game, where choosing classes is simply a salad bar, then they might as well be dumped. They provide no real game benefit, and the same net effect can be done more elegantly in other ways.

kenobi65

First Post
Rolling different kinds of dice.

Killing critters and taking their stuff. (Not that you can't play D&D while not doing that, but that, to me, is part of the core of the game idea.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Frukathka said:
So long as the next edition desn't look anything near like True20 or Star Wars Saga and retains some elements that have been the concept of dnd since the beginning of dnd, I'll be a happy camper.
What in True20 or Saga doesn't feel like D&D to you, beyond the setting-specific stuff?

kibbitz

First Post
JDJblatherings said:
character classes, ability scores, levels, HP and armor class.
Delta said:
Yep. I'd add polyhedral dice.

All that, and I'd add the magic system, spell list and magic item lists. I can't say I like them, but I know that I wouldn't consider the system D&D without them.

Remove ads