• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures Handbook: Chainmail rehashed?

Hollywood

First Post
So is the Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures Handbook just Chainmail rehashed and now with pre-painted plastic minis [well extra-large minis] instead?

Hollywood

First Post
Voneth said:
The extra large mini's rumor is false. The sizes quoted was a typo.

Ok, thanks.. then it might have some redeeming qualities.. i.e. use of minis, although random sucks.

And it couldn't hurt to remember that one could look beyond WotC for a fast paced minis game that handles large amounts of figs and feature special rules for PCs

Yeah, had seen that, wasn't particularly impressed.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hollywood said:
So is the Dungeons & Dragons Miniatures Handbook just Chainmail rehashed and now with pre-painted plastic minis [well extra-large minis] instead?

Seems to me that it will be a higher level of combat than chainmail (that was a 'skirmish' game). Cheaper figures would hopefully translate into actual armies, not squads.

Anyway, while people say random sucks, it seems to drive most people crazy when it comes to actually buying, since they get gambling fever. (Like those scratch off lotto tickets...)

I mean, who wouldn't buy 2 cases of them to get the super rare Lidda in bikini figure....

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
On a slightly off-topic note, is there a place I can download the basic Chainmail premise? I'm not interested in the rules of the game, just in what the backstory is and all, since it takes place on Oerth, the World of Greyhawk.

Hollywood

First Post
Voneth said:
LOL! Lets agree to disagree then.
I wasn't haven't been that impressed with WotC's new mini game either. :D

Well, haven't seen the rules for it.. but if its anything like Chainmail, I won't be all that impressed with it either.

However, if it integrates more smoothly with D&D/D20, then that to me could be a good thing even if the rules aren't the best [after all D&D/d20 aren't necessarily the best set of rules either].

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Femerus the Gnecro said:
I'm just interested in the minis myself... I could care less about the game.

You'll probably be happy to hear about the new Miniatures Handbook then, coming out in Fall 2003.

I'm not kidding either, this is a real handbook that WotC announced. It's over at Gaming Report.

Olive

Explorer
i don't think its going to be chainmail rehashed, but you never know. or at least we won't know until we play it!

but hopefully it will be more in line with DnD itself, and will give us a way to put our characters in it, not a totally separate game!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads