D&D General Dungeons & Dragons survival sim video game coming

Hussar

Legend
I acknowledge that I am not likely to get through this farrago of bubblegum pop stereotypes, but as noted previously these are not statements grounded in reality, but in propeganda. Saying that the life of a cow in a factory farm is like a Mesieval human life is completely unhinged.

History is notna straight line of progress (the Middle Ages were a better time to be a woman or racial minority than the 18th cnetury, for example, and the end of the Coloni syatem and rebranding it as "Serfdom" was a major projext in trying to convince people they were better off as wage slaves which was objectively worse), but yes I am glad that we have penicillin, microwaves and bidets. That doesn't mean we need ro literally make up stuff about how worrific any other period was, when it just wasn't so.
Whereas I don't think I'll manage to cut through the revision and rose colored fantasy glasses that seem to permeate here. Particularly since you don't actually seem to be reading what I said. I said a modern dairy barn is FAR more sterile, hygenic and clean than anywhere you'd find in the Medieval age. But, yeah, this is not going to go anywhere.

People will always pine for the "golden age". And fantasy literature feeds into that.

Canadian, actually. ;)

Yes thank you.

I wouldn't call FR Points of Light, that be like Calling Canada or Russia points of Light for having a lot of empty nature fill territory, but that is not enough to be PoL, because all that territory is claimed by a nation.

And while there are locations with a lot of unclaimed territory, its not the majority.

Even the city states on the Swordcoast, Chessenta, etc..., claim a lot of territory and even villages surrounded their cities. Its a misconception that city states end at the boader of their capitals cities.

And FR has a whole bunch of big prosperous nation states around the Sea of Fallen Stars especially, Mulhurand, Unther, Tymander, Cormyr, Sembia, Aglrond, Thay, Turmish, etc...

Nentir Vale is really the PoL setting, its that Faerun is just so @@@@ing big it seems like a PoL setting sometimes.

Anyways I'd say FR is Renniance Steampunk Renaissance with large areas of nomads, as opposed to the usual Victorian Steampunk setting.

The key difference being between the two types of Steampunk is Industrialization, FR doesn't have factories, so mass production is rare, which is exastrabated by frequent disasters, aka Realmshaking events.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Whereas I don't think I'll manage to cut through the revision and rose colored fantasy glasses that seem to permeate here. Particularly since you don't actually seem to be reading what I said. I said a modern dairy barn is FAR more sterile, hygenic and clean than anywhere you'd find in the Medieval age. But, yeah, this is not going to go anywhere.

People will always pine for the "golden age". And fantasy literature feeds into that.
That is simply not what I was saying: I am neither being romantic or fanciful, merely appealing to the academic consensus on what the Middle Ages actually were like, contrary to myths and fallacies. My claims were sourced and reflect the historical consensus, unlike the myths that have been made up and circulated as silly rumors.

But hat is off topic for this Forgotten Realms video game, which will reflect neither the complex reality nor the pop mythology propganda about the real European Middle Ages or any other historical period.

I'll be impressed if it even resembles the published Forgotten Realms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wouldn't call FR Points of Light, that be like Calling Canada or Russia points of Light for having a lot of empty nature fill territory, but that is not enough to be PoL, because all that territory is claimed by a nation.

And while there are locations with a lot of unclaimed territory, its not the majority.
In the Sqord Coast region (which is where this will no doubt be aet), there isn't actually a single nation properly speaking in the 1490's DR: it's widely separated microstates surrounded by vast wilderness especially populated by Orcs, Trolls, Undead, Zhentarim, etc.

After watchin the picture again I think that stronghold is being built.

The middle age wasn't so dark, but some people want to sell us the tale "the world was a nightmare until we arrived and we saved the day, wellcome".

This is D&D, and this means fantasy worlds where even no-sentient creatures can cast spell-like effects as pokemons.

Using some game mechanic like the incantations low level spellcasters could craft single-use magic item. Villagers could avoid diseases thanks healing magic by the town priest.

But there are also other menaces, like the supernatural predators: undeads, werebeasts..

Maybe gnomes with "speak with animals" could be better to train beasts and some monsters.

I wonder if the idea is something like "Stranded: Alien Dawn".

Or like Gord,

Or Surviving the Aftermath

Will we see buildings working as "facilities"(State of Decay videogame) or the future 5ed rules about bastions?

Hooffina

Villager
That sounds like a game I'd totally get into! The concept of building a town, managing NPCs, and battling foes in a survival setting within the Dungeons & Dragons universe has so much potential for immersive gameplay. I'm particularly intrigued by the idea of combining life simulation elements with action RPG mechanics. Can't wait to see how it all comes together! By the way, what games do you guys play to unwind? I usually stick with the solitaire cash app, it's pretty simple but interesting. Any other game suggestions?

Last edited:

Endie

Villager
Yes, but, you keep glossing over that 70-80% infant mortality rate. And, what, no mention of the treatment of women? I guess those are myths too.

There's vilifying going on, but, it's not vilifying the middle ages. It's vilifying modern life. The idea that we've somehow "gone wrong" and that things would be so much better if we would just go backwards in time. No. Things were BAD in the Middle ages. Things were worse earlier, sure. But, they were still utterly, mind blowingly horrific. No civil rights. No freedoms. Well, unless you happen to be male of the right color and/or religion of course. Living conditions that we wouldn't keep farm animals in today.

Good grief, a modern dairy barn is a freaking hospital compared to conditions back then.
Your problem is that you keep putting several, very strong arguments (easily done, since you’re arguing with someone who honestly seems to believe that things were better in the 1320s!) but then you add one more that’s contestable and he’s ignoring everything unarguable and focusing on that weak point each time.

Anyone broadly sensible knows you’re right and you won’t persuade anyone who thinks things would be way better if we could just get rid of these pesky antibiotics and vaccines. Just leave it.

GreyLord

Legend
This is ENWorld. From Survival Game to cooking...all in the same thread.

I imagine this game will be more No Man's Sky/Minecraft/Subnautica than Runefactory...at least that's my thoughts.

Remove ads