• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon's new pirates of the caribbean series

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The easy solution? Add guns to your game! (Well, that would be my solution at least... :p )

Actually, if I remember properly, doesn't Greyhawk have cannon?

The Auld Grump

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I wouldn't be surprised at all if a seafaring pirate campaign had cannons.

And once you have that, all bets are off as to what kind of ships are possible with advanced magic construction techniques and the lore of the gods of the sea at your fingertips. :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
bastrak said:
Er I don't think so. At least not in any D&D I have ever played.

The technology in the PHB equipment chapter is almost totally medieval.

I'd like to see ships that are at least vaguely historically accurate for the medieval period.
Plate armor is not medieval. Part of the image people have of the middle ages, but actually showing up in the early Renaissance. It and gunpowder started showing up at about the same time, more or less as a complete coincidence, though contrary to some people's opinions a breastplate can stop an early bullet. However most people could not afford armor that would stop a bullet, or a crossbow bolt for that matter.

Sorry about that, kneejerk threadjack...

I will admit that this sounds a lot more tempting for me than the previous two adventure paths. If I do end up modifying it then yes, there will be technology appropriate to about the 17th century and the golden age of piracy. (Though I do not think that it will fit all that well with, say, Skull & Bones.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

bastrak

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Plate armor is not medieval. Part of the image people have of the middle ages, but actually showing up in the early Rennaisance.

Agreed. There are some Renaissance items in the equipment section (particularly weapons), which is why I said "almost totally Medieval" as opposed to totally Medieval. There is however no 19th century technology in the PHB which is the point I was trying to make.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
TheAuldGrump said:
The easy solution? Add guns to your game! (Well, that would be my solution at least... :p )

Actually, if I remember properly, doesn't Greyhawk have cannon?

The Auld Grump
Greyhawk has gunpowder... barely. The god Murlynd (he of the spoons) is basically an old West sherrif, complete with cowboy hat, badge and six-shooters.

When I get around to Savage Tide, in my game Murlynd will have bestowed the gift of gunpowder knowledge to his faithful... which was then rapidly stolen and re-engineered by less savory sorts.

Demiurge out.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
DarkSoldier said:
I recall reading somewhere (don't remember exactly) that gunpowder doesn't ignite in Greyhawk.
Possibly in the Gary Gygax Q&A threads on this very forum... (Yes, he states outright - no guns in Greyhawk. Murlynd has wands that are shaped like six shooters, but...) So, I am very wrong.

My mix up may have been due to the fan site titled Canonfire (not Cannonfire, which is how I remembered it.)

The Auld Grump

Banshee16

First Post
Glyfair said:
Where do you think the wizards are stationed to cast their "artillery" spells? I'm pretty sure the medieval war ships didn't have to consider that in their design. I don't see why they wouldn't be placed in similar positions to the cannons. They might not have the exact designs, but I don't see why the D&D artists need to sit down and reinvent the wheel just for a picture.

I'm not so sure a D&D sailor would *want* wizards onboard....they're kind of like tactical nukes. Could you imagine? Two ships going at it, each with a (or more than one) wizard who can cast fireball. Both ships would be burned to the waterline in a few rounds, and everyone aboard would die.

Banshee

Hussar

Legend
While I have no problems with the idea of ballistae behind the gun ports, the fact is, we still have a ship that is used in the 19th century. Good grief, this ship could easily have been used during the American Civil War. While I can swallow a lot of anachronism, that's a bit much.

Why go so far ahead? Stop at the Renaissance. That gives you carracks which look like pirate ships mostly. Something to remember is that contemporaries of something like a sloop are ironships and the USS Constitution. These are VERY advanced ships. People were driving cars when these ships were in use.

We're not talking cannons and arquebuses, we're talking about fifty years from a Model T.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads