• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons of Dread Preview 8

mhensley

First Post
is up-

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20080320a

mi20080320a_skelgardcd.jpg

mi20080320a_mindflaycd.jpg

Mentat55

First Post
Wasn't there some concern after Worlds & Monsters that mind blast would be an encounter power? I think we are seeing (from the DDXP monsters, as well as these mini previews) that many encounter powers are being given the recharge mechanic.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'll bet that the D&D Mindflayer is more complex than that - no brain extraction for a start!

As a reminder, Worlds and Monsters said

[bq]Per encounter:
  • Mind Blast is now a renewable power, usable once per encounter to daze all creatures caught in its area (a lot less powerful!)
  • Dominate a foe usable once per encounter.

At will:

The at will powers are listed in "a cascading, intuitive style". One at the top of the list is available every round, while those farther down require no attention until successful attacks make them available.

• The basic illithid attack is a tentacle lash and grab. Only if the mind flayer succeeds in grabbing its prey does the bore into brain power come into play.
  • The next entry, Thrall, matters only if bore into brain succeeded but the illithid decides to fashion a thrall instead of eating the victim.
  • Only once it has made the choice to create a thrall does the Interpose Thrall power matter, forcing its new-made ally to stand in the way of danger.
[/bq]

I'm liking the look of that a lot more, and hope it is much closer to the W&M incarnation. Note that Mind Blast was listed as 'per encounter, renewable', and we now have seen several kinds of renewable/rechargeable powers.

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Also compare with Skeletal tomb guardian from DDXP

Skeletal Tomb Guardian, Level 10 Elite Brute

Medium Natural Animate (Undead)
Init +9; Senses darkvision; Perception +12
HP 112; Bloodied 56

AC 23; Fortitude 22 Reflex 23 Will 20
Speed 8

m Scimitar (Standard; at-will) * Weapon
+16 vs. AC; 1d8+6

M Twin Scimitars (Standard; at-will) * Weapon
Make two Scimitar attacks

M Bloodletting (Immediate, when an enemy becomes bloodied by a melee attack; at-will) * Weapon
A scimitar attack against that enemy

M Cascade of Steel (Standard; at-will) * Weapon
+16 vs. AC; 1d8+6 AND repeat. Maximum 4 attacks

M Looming Threat (Reaction, when an adjacent enemy shifts; at-will) * Weapon
A Scimitar attack against that enemy

M Sudden Riposte (Immediate, when an adjacent enemy misses with a melee attack; at-will) * Weapon
A scimitar attack against that enemy

Multiple Threats
Adjacent enemies are flanked

Str 12 (+6) Dex 22 (+11) Wis 14 (+7)
Con 16 (+8) Int 4 (+2) Cha 10 (+5)

Mentat55

First Post
The skeletal tomb guardian is an absolute meat grinder. I wouldn't want to engage it in melee. It'll be cool to see how level 10 PCs would deal with one (or several) of those in an encounter.

baberg

First Post
Mentat55 said:
The skeletal tomb guardian is an absolute meat grinder. I wouldn't want to engage it in melee. It'll be cool to see how level 10 PCs would deal with one (or several) of those in an encounter.
Agreed. Reading that stat block I was almost expecting "PC picks his nose: Scimitar attack. PC uses an action? Scimitar attack"

I'd say the only way to efficiently beat it is through stuns if possible, or lots and lots of ranged damage if not. I can easily imagine a TPK if you toss one of these guys into a 20x20 room where the PCs have nowhere to run.

Remove ads