• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons without Adventures

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
One thing I wish there were more of is fully detailed, stocked adventure locations -- dungeons, dank swamps, ruins, whatever -- produced completely independent of any plot, adventure or other framing element. "Adventures" are easy to come up: the elf king's daughter has been captured by Drow agents and is to be sacrifice to an Aspect of Lolth in three nights time. See -- I just came up with an adventure in like 15 seconds. Now, I have 40 hours of work ahead of me actually designing the thing, maybe 20 if i cobble togther and kit-bash pre-existing materials.

But if there was a 'module' for Dark Drow Temple -- Character levels 4 to 12 (with scaling rules), I'd be all set. Add in 'The Dark Woods' and 'Burley Barley's Waystation and Inn' and I have a real, honest to goodness adventure in my hands and ready to go. In addition those guidelines in the DMG II for using published materials would actually work, with the hours presented.

In short -- we need modular materials with which to construct our own adventures and let us concentrate on the details specific to our own settings, campaigns and PCs.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Voadam said:
Oone's Dungeon under the Mountain Set? The rooms and encounters parts seem like what you are looking for though in small sections

Wow. These are really cool. Too bad it is a room at a time. I especially like the built-in scalability. I wonder if they plan on doing them at a more expansive level -- say a whole dungeon, or even one level (10-20 rooms at a time).

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Reynard said:
In short -- we need modular materials with which to construct our own adventures and let us concentrate on the details specific to our own settings, campaigns and PCs.
I am in full agreement with you.

Goodman Games does create some fairly light adventures.

And, if you don't mind printing out SRD statblocks, most 70's and early 80's modules from companies like Judges Guild are as useful today as they were then.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
Well, I don't have all the Dungeon Crawl Classics, but the ones I do have are pretty much like what you're after. The metaplots are pretty thin, and really only exist just to get the PCs into the dungeon, and that's it.

Maybe you could look into those.

Nailom

First Post
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3639

So you've got a plot, created some NPCs, and bought a mini for the big bad boss, but you're missing a crucial component: the dungeon.

Previously, you had two options: buy a map and spend time populating it yourself, or buy an adventure and spend time stripping out everything you don't need.

Now you've got a third option: Dungeon Dive. Each Dungeon Dive product comes with a full-color map, a detailed map key, and fully developed encounter areas with options for low, medium, and high level parties.

At 37 encounter areas, Dungeon Dive 3: The Hungry Demiplane is the largest in the series. It presents a demiplane complete with traps, hazards, creatures, and treasure.

I think thats what you're looking for

heirodule

First Post
Secrets of Xen'drik does what you want, plus more.

If gives you a toolbox of locations and ecnounters.

And then it gives you plot outlines which put the locations together with the encounetrs (what you don't want).

I like it

Remove ads