• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons

Psion

Adventurer
Dungeons is divided into 4 chapters. The first two are advice and how to chapters. Chapter 1 is called Tips & Tricks, and gives advice for both players and DMs regarding surviving and designing interesting, logical dungeons.

The second chapter dwells on different types of dungeon settings, e.g., fortresses, mines, temples, and so on, and provides some typical trappings of each type and ideas for variants.

The advice chapters are in depth. Comparing to the Dungeon Builder's Guidebook, Dungeons was deeper and narrower. By way of comparison, the AD&D 2e Dungeon Builder's Guidebook had a larger variety, but didn't go as deep into explainations and theorizing. Much of these chapters will seem like old hat to many veteran DMs and players.

The third chapter contains material for players -- skills, feats, equipment and prestige classes. Most of this chapter is very good and packed with usable material. The exception is that many of the skills were either too specific, overlapped existing skills, or should have been tucked under knowledge, craft, or profession skills. The prestige classes are generally good additions to any game that does this type of campaigning, and will appeal to players.

The fourth and final chapters is rules material for DMs: monsters, magic items, traps, and sample dungeons. The monsters are good ideas, but some of them are poorly executed. For example, some creature hit dice do not follow the conventions for monster types, and seem to be arbitrarily assigned instead of being based on Con. Some creatures should have had more explicity special ability descriptions.

The book is 120 pages, but the layout isn't as dense as the WotC 96 page books. The interior art is pretty good / interesting, depicting PC types confronting some typical obstacles one finds in a dungeon faring campaign.

Beginning DMs will get more value out of this book than veterans, but even some longtime DMs and game desingers could use some of the tips in the book. Veteran players will still probably find the rule material "crunchy bits" useful, but if you aren't using the first two chapters, its value might be more questionable. Overall, I gave it a 3 out of 5 rating.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
It's good.

The material on building a working dungeon actually gave me some good ideas, and is well-written, comprehensive and useful. It's nice and systematic and really helps newer DMs work through the creation process to build a real-feeling dungeon adventure with a logical history and functionality. This is the majority of the book, and worth the price as listed.

The Skills are overdone. I can't really see adding any of them to the average game except the specialized Knowledges. Other reviews here indicate how best to use them as new uses for old skills (which is how I've adapted them into my games)

The Feats are good and balanced, although I feel a few of them should have had more prerequisites.

The Prestige Classes are good, feel balanced, and have some interesting ideas. They are also why I bought the book (I'm a prestige class junky) and I didn't feel at all ripped off here.

The Monsters are my problem. Once again another product hits the shelves with totally screwed up stat blocks. I'm looking forward to the day I can buy a third-party product with monsters that follow the rules. This is a real sour note, and since it is the last chapter of the book I always close the book feeling robbed. (My next stop is of course the Monster Manual, so I can revise all the critters and send them to AEG).

With a printed errata for the monsters, this book would rock. As it is, I'd give it a 3.5, and since there are no fractions, it's just Average.

(PREFACE: I like the crunchy bits. Everything else is fluff, so it had better be good fluff for me to give it a good rating)

I like it... but with some serious "buts".

Chapter 1
Good stuff on designing and surviving Interesting & Logical dungeons. Makes sense, has a bunch of good ideas, but a lot of it seems damn obvious to the experienced DM.

Chapter 2
Different types of Dungeons (Fortresses, Mines, etc) and how they are built, decorated, and how they are affected by changing hands and purposes during their existence. Again, most of this is obvious to the experienced DM, but it's still got some good tips.

Chapter 3
Skills - TOO specific, these should have ALL been "new uses for old skills" or variant knowledge skills instead of their own skills.
Feats - balanced, often underpowered, not very interesting.
Prestige Classes - good stuff, well made. Crunchy. New and fairly original.

Chapter 4
Magic Items - some "nifty" new toys.
Monsters - ARGH! Nice ideas, but these guys wouldn't know a D20 Monster if it bit them on the ass. There is an errata PDF for the monsters section at http://dreadgazebo.com/dnd which makes this chapter bearable.

Overall, bearable, but nothing exceptional. I rate it a 3 out of 5.

The definitive guide to dungeons and catacombs for players and DMs alike.
Dungeons are an integral part of fantasy gaming, but there's far more to them than just stone corridors and random monsters. This book contains a plethora of tips, tricks and rules to help make your dungeons the stuff of legend. It includes essays on design and construction, overviews of different dungeon types, player advice for surviving underground perils, and a host of new rules, spells, monsters, and magic items.

Remove ads