• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeonsndads.com - Our D&D YouTube Channel

DungeonsNDads

First Post
Hey all, we launched our Dungeons N' Dads YouTube channel a couple of weeks ago; currently consists of my groups D&D4e Forgotten Realms campaign that we're playing online with Fantasy Grounds and recording them. I've also started doing a DM/GM advice feature that, whilst at times may concentrate on 4e, will primarily be more generic so as to be applicable to any ruleset or campaign (not just D&D). Still thinking of other features to add to the channel, but as a new dad (hence the name) I don't want to bite off more than I can chew at the moment.

Would love some feedback from anyone who generally watches these kind of channels (itmejp, etc.) and if you like what you see then obviously some subs :) (Can follow us on Facebook and Twitter as well at "/dungeonsndads")

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Looks like a great way to get into a game (without actually getting into a game). I watched some of The Ranger's Pants. You might consider using an indicator to show who's doing the talking, and some editing for the slow segments.

DungeonsNDads

First Post
Hey thanks for the feedback :)

In an ideal world we'd all have cams, but editing the video to indicate who is speaking would take a LOT of post-production to edit it in at every point who spoke, and unfortunately I just don't have that kind of time. It already takes me nearly an hour per video of editing (and there's generally 12 vids per episode :D ), so I'm gonna just hope that people who watch long enough will soon be able to tell which of three players is speaking (I don't think it's that hard after a few vids).

I do edit some of the slow content, it depends how slow and what's happening. Typically I cut out a lot of the dead air time, I have had moments where I fast forward uninteresting combat, or any moments of exploring between maps. However, it's difficult to cut stuff sometimes without it feeling like something has been missed. It's VERY hard for me to leave stuff in when I think "this isn't going to be a good stand alone video", but as they're released daily and only 20mins then hopefully it wont hurt us too much.

Since we started filming and I spend more time editing and analyzing the sessions, I'm really going to change up how I would DM to cut out a LOT of the boring stuff that, whilst isn't that noticeable whilst playing, if cut would certainly speed the game up anyway and be more fun.

Remove ads