• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dunjinni - experiences?

devilish

Explorer
Best to try the demo

I was sold after trying the demo. I've tried CC and spent
hours figuring out what all the controls meant, how to get a
stupid river or house down and screamed in frustration.

With DD, I had a map that's been floating in my head for
our campaign down in 20 minutes after starting the demo.
Maybe it's the simpler interface, but it got me where I wanted
to be with nice looking maps. The more time you put into
it, the better -- but I don't feel each moment is wasted, like
I did with CC.

-D

Xath

Moder-gator
I LOVE Dundjinni! I bought Platinum at Gencon this year and have yet to regret it. Mapping is fun, easy, and addictive. I find it much easier to use than CC2, and the maps look better.

Plus, you can get all sorts of supplements from other users on the Dundjinni website. If you need an object for a room, you can request it on the forums, and chances are it will be up in a few days.

tmaaas

First Post
Hi all,

My wife created the maps for the Monte Cook adventure, and we have a fair deal of experience with the program now.

It's true that the program won't make you a great mapper, but the program does make it easy to turn out good maps in a reasonable amount of time.

Here's a list of first (or thereabout) maps:

My first "for real" map.

First Try Map

My First Maps

A Noobie and his Castle

And my wife's first maps (Yes, she has a minor in art... ;))
House Lyrandar Airship

I would guess the people above represent a wide range of "artistic talent", but all the maps are good. While my wife has a degree in art, I can't draw/paint/etc. anything. But I can turn out a good (but not "great" map) in Dundjinni.

Since Fluid has a free demo , feel free to try it out and see if it meets your needs!

Micah

First Post
community support

One of the neat things about the Dundjinni setup is its support.

It has a decent, easy to read manual (that really helps a ton in explaining the various draw tools if you are not familiar with art programs - if you are familiar with art programs it has a lot of the same keyboard commands as photoshop which was a plus for me).

But the support doesn't end there. Fluid has an active community forum dedicated to tips and support.

If you see something neat in a map - ask. The creators are more than willing to share how to steps - even outside the forums.

I've definitely picked up a lot of tips from other users. I do have an art minor so I may not be the best to answer your questions. However I've worked with a lot of art-style programs, and to be honest Dundjinni has one of the easiest user interfaces out there.

There is a learning curve, but it can be taken down quickly if you read the support sent out with the program.

Micah

P.S. Check out Monte Cook's site for his free AU adventure and a special promotional offer on Dundjinni!

Last edited:

Alynnalizza

First Post
For the Platinum:

Windows 98 or later
800 MHz Pentium 3 or better
256 MB RAM or more
110 MB hard disk space (approx.)

For the Gold:

Windows 98 or later
256 MB RAM or more
85 MB hard disk space (approx.)

For the Silver:

Windows 98 or later
256 MB RAM or more
80 MB hard disk space (approx.)

Also, the Mac version is in beta, though I have yet to see any spec's on that.

lobstermagnet

First Post
DJ is a pretty good mapping software and it is simple to use. The only big draw back is that they want you to buy packages containing new items to add to your program. Other than that I use CC2 as well. Depends how detailed you want your maps.

Mercule

Adventurer
How about for those of us curmudgeons who prefer black and white maps -- if for no other reason than to save ink on the printer. Is Dunjinni of any real value if you don't care about pretty pictures?

Eremite

Explorer
One problem that I've found is that it is a major resource hog. I've lost interest as a result as even a small map just about crashes my PC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads