• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duom question

anglachel

First Post
I have a player in our new campaign who wishes to use the duom as his primary weapon. I have a few questions that I would like some opinions on.

First, is the +2 bonus on the first attack against adjacent opponents mean the first time attacking that particular opponent or the first time attacking any opponent in the battle.

Second, is that bonus a function of the opponent not expecting the attack or some other inherent quality of the weapon.

Third, is this weapon unbalancing.

Thanks in advance.

Zerovoid

First Post
Its an exotic weapon in S&F. It looks sort of like:

\ \
--------------------------------->
/ /

Its like a spear, but you can cut people as you draw it back toward you, so it threatens to 5' and 10'.

DarkJester

First Post
Duom-From Sword and Fist
1d8/x3 Reach,can attack adjacent opponents.

I would say that the +2 to hit would be a one time per battle thing. The exception being,if someone didn't see you using it.They +2 attack bonus is for not expecting the attack mode (IMO at least) and if someone has seen it, they are goign to be expecting it.

Kraedin

First Post
To the last question- no more so than the Spiked Chain, which has more special abilities and ever-so-slightly more damage.

Grendel

First Post
Well if you give a +2 bonus one per battle, why not every attack?

obviously anyone stupid enough not to realize that those pointy things on the back will hurt them from looking at the device probably wont know how to defend themselves either.

Next question, are you actually flanking with yourself when you use this device? what about the sneak attack bonus?

whats even better if someone were to actually try to use this device they would be virtually defensless, you are in effect attempting to use a shepards crook to pull someone toward you, when there is nothing between you and them, but thats just a little common sense creeping into the equation.

Remove ads