• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Dust" and "Midway" - Codenames for Upcoming D&D Hardcovers

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Tales from the Yawning Portal was codenamed Labyrinth. Curse of Strahd was Cloak, and Storm King's Thunder was Dagger (or vice versa). Now two new codenames have emerged, spotted by EN World member kettite. Dust is dated 19 Sep 2017, hardcover, $49.95, and Midway is dated 21 Nov 2017, hardcover, $49.95. These have both appeared over on edelweiss' catalog. They do not match the four unnamed RPG Accessories on Amazon. Engage speculation mode - two new hardcovers later this year!

Typically the September release has been an adventure, and the November release a rules book (Sword Coast Adventurers Guide; Volo's Guide to Monsters). WotC has been hinting at a "major rules expansion" for a while now.

My guess? Take it with a massive truckload of salt, but I'm going to guess that Dust is fey or fey wild related. Possible the thing Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward helped with. But it really is a wild guess.

"Dust"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 19 September 2017
9780786966103, 0786966106
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

"Midway"
Wizards RPG Team
FRONTLIST
On Sale Date: 21 November 2017
9780786966110, 0786966114
Hardcover
$49.95 USD, $63.95 CAD

Ampersand Transparent.png

SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSave

Sacrosanct

Legend
Dust refers to this edition, being driving into the dust with broken promises and inept design. Which leads to Midway, meaning they are midway done with 6e.

Just checking to see if I'm doing this HATER5 attitude right...

Nickolaidas

Explorer
I sincerely do *not* want Midway to mean midway between 5E and 6E. 5E goes very slow in terms of content so it shouldn't be updated to 6E with less then 20 books in 5E's name. 5E is the first edition I'm 100% invested in (have all the books so far, something I'd *never* done with any D&D E prior) and I won't even bother with 6E.

Besides, I really want to see more campaign settings in this edition.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I sincerely do *not* want Midway to mean midway between 5E and 6E. 5E goes very slow in terms of content so it shouldn't be updated to 6E with less then 20 books in 5E's name. 5E is the first edition I'm 100% invested in (have all the books so far, something I'd *never* done with any D&D E prior) and I won't even bother with 6E.

Besides, I really want to see more campaign settings in this edition.
Well, you should be fine. That is a really unlikely interpretation of a codename for a product.

Even IF it refers to "midway" through some sort of publishing plan, it doesn't mean midway to 6e. It just means we're halfway through their first plan. What comes next? Another plan.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

I had forgotten about that one! If that was the case, I feel like the folks at Games Workshop might take umbrage, what with the similarities to Blood Bowl. Heck, they tried to take legal action over the term “space marine.”

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5011/monsters-midway

If it is derived from this then Midway may be, in part, a monster book. Something like Volo's Guide. I'm surprised no one has brought up this old TSR boardgame.

trystero

Explorer
Guessing here before I read the thread: "Dust" is the Desert of Desolation adventures (set in the Forgotten Realms again, as in I3–5), and "Midway" is something circus- or carnival- or fair-themed, rather than being a reference to the WWII battle or any sort of halfway point.

mankyle

Explorer
mmm yesterday they talked about the Moonshae islands and let's remember the 4E backdrop article in a Dungeon or Dragon Magazine.
in thst article they described the situation of the Moonshae islands and there was a war between the eladrin kingdom of Sarifal and the Unseelie fey with the dwarves and humans in the middle and the Vampiress in the island of Snowdown.

i don't think this is a coincidence and I'm thinking that "dust" is going to be a fey related adventure set in the Moonshae Islands.

just my 2 cents

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
mmm yesterday they talked about the Moonshae islands and let's remember the 4E backdrop article in a Dungeon or Dragon Magazine.
in thst article they described the situation of the Moonshae islands and there was a war between the eladrin kingdom of Sarifal and the Unseelie fey with the dwarves and humans in the middle and the Vampiress in the island of Snowdown.

i don't think this is a coincidence and I'm thinking that "dust" is going to be a fey related adventure set in the Moonshae Islands.

just my 2 cents

That interesting. Faerie dust brings to mind Peter Pan: pirates and natives and mermaids etc...

Sacrosanct

Legend
OK, seriously, this is a no brainer. If you recall your WWII history, the battle of Midway was immediately preceded by the US sending out a fake message that they knew the Japanese would intercept. That fake message was about how they were out of water. What happens when you have no water? It's nothing but barren dust. There's your dust and Midway reference without having to go 7 steps from Kevin Bacon to do so.

So quite clearly, WoTC is putting out a WWII supplement for 5e. I for one can't wait for my halfling fighter to hop into his corsair and get into a dogfight with a dragon.

Then again, I've been wanting to do that ever since this dragon magazine came in the mail back in the 80s...

latest

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads