• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DVDs for PC gaming (Or holy crap...PC games are getting big!)

Lazybones

Adventurer
I imagine PC DVD-ROM releases will become "standard" right as Blu-Ray drives start becoming an option for early adopters. I have a DVD-ROM in my computer right now, and if I'd gotten it 6 months later, I probably would have had a DVD-writer instead. Someone commented how cheap DVD drives have gotten, and given that gamers tend to have machines that are ahead of the update curve of most PCs, I think we'll see demand rise as the size of games continues to explode. Heck, I was cleaning out my hard drive to make space for some new stuff the other day, and I saw that I had maybe 20 games from a few years back still there with a total HD footprint of maybe 1 gig... while UT2004 was taking up 5 1/2 by itself.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
I remember when in high school I first saw a CG on CD, it was Theme Park although the CD was mostly empty :) . Someone commented that there will never be a game so big that it would have filled an entire CD!

My biggest CG was Baldur's Gate in 5 CDs, but then the games became slimmer, maybe because mp3 coding reduced the space for audio?

Anyway, moving to DVD is a good idea, at least because of the less space, and a DVD reader for PC nowadays costs quite as much as a CD reader.

Instead I can only imagine what kind of game would fit onto this :p : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/wlenng/FMD.htm

Granger44

First Post
Another reason DVDs haven't become super popular is that the idea of downloading full games and games-on-demand has been growing. And really, a games-on-demand thing isn't a bad deal, though there is something nice about having a physical copy of the game.

DarQuing

First Post
dagger said:
I bought the DVD version of Sims 2 for my wife and the DVD version of Far Cry for myself.
A friend of mine bought the DVD version of Sims2 and had problems installing it, so she went to the Wal-Mart where she bought it and exchanged it for the CD version.

Remove ads