• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf and poison.

Serendipity

Explorer
I dig the immunity. It's distinctive. And if this means more (any) dwarf rogues, then more power to it. Somehow I just don't think this is going to mean no one will be playing non-dwarf rogues from now on.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I LOVE the immunity.

I make a dwarf feel less like a short human and more like a whole different race.

Dwarves are actually a race now. When the DM sics dwarves on the party, they can't use poison.

stevelabny

Explorer
Its funny, when Eberron first came out I remember a lot of people complaining about the long list of Warforged immunities even though they came with pretty noticeable disadvantages both in and out of combat.

Because they were world-specific, and therefore the out-of-combat penalties would always exist, I was fine with them.

But all dwarves getting immunity to poison? Seems like too much. Specifically because theyre still flesh and blood creatures that have been around for centuries. You would think some of their enemies would have found a poison that works on them by now.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I LOVE the immunity.

I make a dwarf feel less like a short human and more like a whole different race.

Dwarves are actually a race now.

Wouldn't a bonus to poison saves (say something like +10, like certain races get in C&C against certain things) or even just advantage on poison saves get the same feel?

Ellington

First Post
Wouldn't a bonus to poison saves (say something like +10, like certain races get in C&C against certain things) or even just advantage on poison saves get the same feel?

That would defeat the whole point, though. Not having to roll at all is what makes it feel so fantastical; you're friggin immune to poison!

I love it, and I hope to see more racial abilities with this much impact.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter

+10 to poison is not fantastic. Immunity is.

And look how it can change the game.

Dwarven cities might not carry poison...

NO!

Dwarven cites have poison Everywhere. Since they are immune, they don't care. They hunt giant venomous insects for fun. They sprinkle tasty poison on food. Fish in a scorpion tail and tomato sauce. Yum yum. Poison is their chocolate and humans are the dogs.

Don't make dwarves human.

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Dwarves being immune to poison is no worse than Elves being immune to sleep and being charmed.

It's an edge case where they get to have spotlight time.

ferratus

Adventurer
I also love the immunities. It cements the fact that elves don't sleep, and that dwarves are the best drinkers. It also, as some have pointed out, make dwarves excellent rogues for dealing with locks and traps, which is as it should be.

Dwarves should be the best rogues for traps and locks, halflings the best at being hidden and sneaking, elves the best at charismatic con games, and humans should be good at everything, but not as good as the demihumans at any one thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads