• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf Mountains: Alps or Rockies?

Dwarf Mountains?

• Alps

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Rockies

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 26 41.3%

rkwoodard

First Post
it is ok

How is the cartoon for that age range? Is it sufficiently not-scary for a kid that age? The combat scenes, as I recall, are mostly zooming in and out on still images.

He does great with it. The first time he watched the scene where the trolls capture the dwarves kinda scared him, but he wanted to watch it again.

The combat scenes are fine. There is little to no "contact" shots.

Of course my son likes things that are on the scary side.

RK

Melhaic

First Post
Since my dwarves are pseudo-viking, I tend to think of Scandinavian fjords and glacial peaks. The rural area of Quebec on the Candian Sheild is probably the closest thing I've seen in person.

I do live about 45 minute from the Great Smokies Mountain, however, and they make me think elves: huge trees, deep incredibly lush valleys (ravenfork is amazing), and lots of clear mountain streams.

Verys Arkon

First Post
I was looking for some mountains recently for a regional map with GoogleMap. This map is adapted from an area in Chile, around Lago General Carrera...

Regional-Map.jpg

It looked good and rough :)

Verys

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I chose to put them in areas where fjords are abundant. I imagine them as completley tunneling through the earth, from one side to the other, forming vaster communities than normal dwarves in other fantasy worlds.

[sblock=Geirangerfjord, Norway]
Geirangerfjord_%286-2007%29.jpg
[/sblock]
Imagine the sides of that completely carved into forming a dwarven coastal community, not unlike how the Yavapai carved into cliffs to form their dwellings:

[sblock=Montezumas Castle]
800px-Montezuma_Castle_National_Monument2.jpg
[/sblock]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted other...

Where there are mountains, there are dwarves, where there are dwarves, there are mountains.

I've put them in Alpine ranges, Rockies type settings, quasi-Appalacia, the mountain ranges of Asia and South America.

Even the largely submerged volcanic ranges of the oceans...

worthless.gif

Really, I need an image to see which seems more "Dwarfy" to me.

I am living on the Northern region of Germany. The highest we have here are dikes ;)
Well, there are some "real" hills, but really, the land is flat
Most of the mountains I have seen are from TV shows, magazines and pictures. It's not like I haven't been to the Alps or anything, but this limited experiences just don't give me a feel of the subtle differences. :)

Tervin

First Post
Somehow Dwarven mountains for me usually end up with dramatic cliffs and fjords on one side - shaped by the windy ocean - and softer hills on the other, worn down by the ages and gently translating into forests and farmlands... just like the Scandes that I grew up next to. Probably not a coincidence. Also, as this is a landscape I know, I can base fantastic locations on some of the many weird actual places in these mountains, just turned up a few notches.

(un)reason

Legend
The Scandinavian mountains,
My dwarves are short, stocky Vikings that live along the fjords
I also like the archtypal Scandinavian mountains. Cold, dark forests, deep fjords,
Since my dwarves are pseudo-viking, I tend to think of Scandinavian fjords and glacial peaks.
I chose to put them in areas where fjords are abundant
ANother vote for Scandnavian, complete with fjords.
Somehow Dwarven mountains for me usually end up with dramatic cliffs and fjords on one side
Man, is everybody pining for the fjords? ;) I have to say, that's the first thing I thought of as well. All that Wagner.

Remove ads