• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarf Rogue?

Mercury

First Post
So we are starting a new campaign, Rappan Athuk I believe, and I am looking for some good character concepts for a dwarf rogue. I have never played a dwarf, and I thought it was about time, and as for the rogue, it jsut seemed like a strange combination, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. Can anybody think of some interesting ideas, or at least plant some seeds that I may branch off from?

melkoriii

First Post
Mercury said:
So we are starting a new campaign, Rappan Athuk I believe, and I am looking for some good character concepts for a dwarf rogue. I have never played a dwarf, and I thought it was about time, and as for the rogue, it jsut seemed like a strange combination, but not completely out of the realm of possibility. Can anybody think of some interesting ideas, or at least plant some seeds that I may branch off from?

I think you should name him Knuckles. He should use a Poisoned Crossbow as his primary weapon. Carries over 200’ of rope at all times and any time you get hit for lots of damage shout “Disbelieve! Disbelieve! I’m disbelieving!!”

Also always checking for traps in anything that the DM gives flavored text or kill any NPC that has flavored text on its intro.

Hehehe

See http://www.hoodyhoo.com/ for more info

Last edited:

christm

First Post
While playing Knuckles, King of the Wall-Climbers would be fun for a while you will probably end up really hacking off the DM and your fellow players by constantly de-railing the campaign and stealing all the best loot for yourself.

If you are wanting a dwarven thief that works within the laws and is going to be "Legit" you might want to consider something like a "Goblin Hunter". Depending on how much your DM is willing to work with you on it you could gear your thief towards combating goblins, disarming all their fiendish traps, and hunting them down in their lairs.

Picking up skill proficiencies in learning Goblish, Search and Spot, picking locks and disarming fiendish goblin traps.. And if you have a good DM you might be able to talk him into a +1 circumstance bonus when fighting goblinkin if you put some skill ranks into such things as Knowledge Tactics (Goblin) or some such..

CAM

Templetroll

Explorer
First, think of a concept that a rogue fills the needs of.

I played a dwarf Sage of Architecture and Student of Library Science. All the skills were learned as part of this background. He had to be quiet in a library; he had to climb the stacks because all the long-legs kept getting to the ladders first; overdue fines were not requested, they were just taken. You get the idea on that. As a sage he understood things about buildings, secret doors, locks and traps. It all fit together and he would be insulted to be called a 'rogue'; he was a sage, or a librarian, if you wanted to get on his good side.

He didn't steal... much, he helped the party often... when it suited him to. He rarely told the complete truth about himself; he much prefered to be mysterious and he respected other members of the party that figured out any of his misdirections.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
One of the most fun and entertaining Dwarf Rogue concepts I've ever seen can be found in the person of Wulf Ratbane. Check out his story hour thread for details.

Darklone

Since this is in rules... I feel tempted to give some RULES advice.

Put your highest stat in CON and take one or two level of fighter :D

You'll be close to the tanks in hitpoints and able to whack a lot as well as still maxxing out your skills.

Dr_Rictus

First Post
Oh, that's easy. Dwarves are always tunnelling, and if fantasy adventures are any gauge, for some reason they seem to break into other creature's tunnels WAY more often than you might think. When they do that, somebody's got to go scout them out.

Not a strange combination at all. Besides, auto-Searching for stonework traps (which are unusual stonework if anything is) simply rocks.

Dursk Starkfire

First Post
I've played a dwarven monk before which was a lot of fun. Hard to imagine a wee dwarf kickin the snot out of orcs and giants, and tumbling around on his jolly beer belly.
As far as rogues go though, Wulf is the iconic Dwarven rogue. No doubt about it.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Check out the Dungeon Delver prestige class in Song & Silence. Dwarves already get half those abilities without taking the class. I think they'd be naturals for going underground, scouting tunnels, and disarming traps. If you take more technical skills like open lock, disable device, etc you can pass yourself off as a "security expert" who just happens to prefer stabbing people where it hurts. If the party asks you to steal something, just tell them it's not in your union contract (oh, and remember to spend at least an hour per lock :D)

BTW, there's no (to my knowledge, anyway) limits with the sort of melee weapons you can use for sneak attack. My new campaign has a dwarf rogue PC, and he's pretty nasty with that battle axe. I figure he's just going for fracture points in the armor instead of slipping a dagger in between plates or whatever. Again, using the weaknesses of the opponents equipment is very dwarvish, I think.

Remove ads