D&D General Dwarven adventures recommendations

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Looking to craft a network of lost dwarven towns, forts and crossroads during a portion of our campaign wherein the party is tracking clues to follow someone through a vast network of a dwarven empire long ago overrun, connected once by a massive underground road system. If familiar with Dragon Age, the Deep Roads where the party discovers the truth about golems, leading to some consequential decisions. As a lifelong DM, I consider it an art to piece together work from any system, so long as it's quality. I want to avoid it becoming a dungeon crawl slog, so that each exploration area becomes something novel. This could be things like:
  • Good ole hack n slash
  • Puzzles/riddles
  • Clever environmental that takes more than skill checks to resolve
  • A true roleplaying opportunity
  • Something disconnected from the main plot (search for an NPC's fate) but still tempting to sidetrack

pukunui

Legend
I'd start with The Forge of Fury - originally written for D&D 3.5e but updated to 5e in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage includes numerous dungeon levels that were originally dwarf halls, including:
  • Level 2 (Arcane Chambers)
  • Level 3 (Sargauth Level)
  • Level 6 (Lost Level)
  • Level 15 (Obstacle Course)
  • Level 21 (Terminus Level)
You could run these as separate locations along the Deep Roads rather than stacked levels in a single dungeon.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Hammerfast: A Dwarven Outpost for 4e is really good. I missed it in the firehose of products when it first came out, but it's full of adventure hooks and doesn't just feel like an iteration on the standard dwarven realm tropes (which, granted, some of them are there).

Atomoctba

Adventurer
For an amazing dwarven fortress map, I would look to Moria for TOR.

There is a good map also in the AD&D 2e adventure Axe of the Dwarvish Lords. These one is fun. A goblin tribe move to an abandoned dwarven fortress and find an artifact (the axe in the name of the adventure). The trouble? Goblin leader becomes very ugly for his people's standards (the axe turns the wielder in a dwarf).

Remove ads