• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Druids and other weirdnesses

Oni

First Post
2) Genasi Sorcerers?: same issue but slightly different: a race that's imbued with the elements and chaos has a high Str and Int, to be great swordmages. However, sorcerers in PH2 (especially wild mages) have the chaotic energy of the elemental chaos in their blood and powering their spells. Do Genasi have bonuses to Cha and Dex? No. Despite their character description stating that they have city states that rise and fall, and that they're passionate and loners, they have a high Int bonus rather than Cha (so... they think real hard?)

I've mentioned this before, but I feel they screwed up with the Genasi, slapping Int/Str on them just to have a race to go with the new class they were rolling out in that book. I believe they would have been much more interesting if they had done different boosted attributes based subtype as they did with the shifter.

I'm not sure that 4e might not be better off if racial stat bumps were simply removed, so you don't feel like you have to play X race to be Y class.

Defender_X

Explorer
What's funny is when you realize you have too much time on your hands and coffee because you think up how to use any race from PHB, PHB2 or FRPG as a particular class and make it work. ;)

Bumbles

First Post
The reason dwarves make such good druids is that they have realized that they need to keep their friends close, and their enemies closer.

Since the natural enemy of the dwarf is the tree, particularly the box elder, this means that they're now going for druidism.

Also the chance to make big stone circles is a real plus.

AngryMojo

First Post
Here's irony for you: Drow get nothing, stat or feat wise, to support a dual weapon ranger. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm not sure that 4e might not be better off if racial stat bumps were simply removed, so you don't feel like you have to play X race to be Y class.

[sblock=Houserules]I'm planning on instituting a house rule next game I run: you treat one of your racial stat bonuses (your choice) as free-floating, allowing you to assign it where you wish. (Humans get two free floaters). This way, there's less incentive to pick races purely for their stat boosts (something I particularly dislike).

Namely because I see racec/class combos like this thread points out (Dwarven shamans/druids) or Halfling/DRow chaos sorcerers, where their racial fluff doesn't really jive with it.

Another house rule I think I'm going to implement is the willingness to shift a class's primary stat to something else. For instance, a Swordmage's primary stat could be Charisma, instead of Intelligent. A fighter's could be Dex, instead of Str. A Rogue's could be Int, instead of Dex. Yes, I know this would open up different sorts of combinations and possible abuses, but I would keep a careful eye on it. The point is more to allow my players to alter the class/race frameworks to fit the character's stories, instead of vice versa.[/sblock]

MaximumHavoc

First Post
Here's irony for you: Drow get nothing, stat or feat wise, to support a dual weapon ranger. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
bravo. (on second thought, does scimitar dance remind you of anybody?)

okay this little contradiction is not limited to 4e, but it does apply to 4e. dwarves are the consummate miners (arguably), therefore, as a race, they likely are quite adept with the tools of a miner: a hammer and a pick. so, what do dwarves get as a racial feat? a bonus to hammers and AXES?!? *snif snif* i smell a sacred cow.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Man, you guys are pooing all over the funny. Fewer rebuttals, more funny!

Of course dwarves make good druids. Haven't any of you folks read the "Cleric Quintet" - the seminal work on the iconic dwarven druid, Pikel Bouldershoulder?

Doo-dad!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads