• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarven Forge questions

Skyscraper

Explorer
'm considering buying some dwarven forge products, in part because they look nice, and in part as a hobby to share with one of my kids, presently age 7. Questions, for those that have answers :)

1) Can you get reasonably enough stuff for under $100? I.e. enough to build, say, a small keep with several rooms, or the like?

2) Does it require a lot of skill to assemble? Can a 7 year old pull it off alone or helped only slightly?

3) Does it come prepainted? How much work goes into the actual assembly?

4) Can you disassemble the stuff you build for storage, and easily reassemble it later?

5) Any comments about the dwarven forge products, and/or comparison with other similar products?

Thanks for any info!

D'karr

Adventurer
'm considering buying some dwarven forge products, in part because they look nice, and in part as a hobby to share with one of my kids, presently age 7. Questions, for those that have answers :)

1) Can you get reasonably enough stuff for under $100? I.e. enough to build, say, a small keep with several rooms, or the like?
Unlikely, Dwarven Forge are pricy, but wonderful. A keep with several rooms will require more than one set, and each set is about $90-$120. I have several Dwarven Forge sets and I would not use it to create a complete building, but only the significant parts I'm going to use.

2) Does it require a lot of skill to assemble? Can a 7 year old pull it off alone or helped only slightly?
No real skill required. Pick the walls and floor pieces you want to use and put them where you want them.

3) Does it come prepainted? How much work goes into the actual assembly?
Yes, they come prepainted, and also in a dark gray ready to paint material if you want to save some money. Assembly is rather easy, though elaborate builds will require more of sets and can be time consuming.

4) Can you disassemble the stuff you build for storage, and easily reassemble it later?

Yes, the boxes the materials come in are built for long term storage. Storage can be an issue as they take a lot of space. Assembly and disassembly is the part that takes time. Mapping out a dungeon can be time consuming because you have to find the pieces you want to use, etc.

5) Any comments about the dwarven forge products, and/or comparison with other similar products?

The quality and detail of the materials is fantastic. I don't use them as often anymore because it was time consuming to build on the fly. Setting up and leaving for several sessions worked best for my group.

There might be other comparable prebuilt/prepainted 3d dungeon products out there but I can't speak for them.

I've used paper models from Worldwork Games for some of the same stuff and that works about the same, except that storage can be much easier, and it is much more cost effective.

If you are in the creative mood you can look at Hirst Arts molds and create the entire pieces one brick at a time, but that can be extremely time consuming, will require painting, and would not be a project for most 7 year olds.

Thanks for any info!

Hope the info was helpful.

Last edited:

religon

First Post
I really like the DF tiles. I have two friends that volunteer their toys for games. One friend, who spends way too much on gaming, hosted a nice dungeon adventure in a DF environment, but the final battle was too constricted because of the tiles. I looked great, but was not ideal in play... limited by the tiles.

I like dungeons made from "Make It Fun: Project Bricks" ($8 to $15 at Michaels Craft Store). They are lighter and the resulting dungeons are more accommodating to miniatures. Painted with a few bitz mixed in, they look 80% as good IMO.

While they look a little better painted, this example from another craftsman will give an idea...

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq106/chuck1372/Tomb game/001.jpg

Remove ads