Dwarven Hall Maps (contd...)

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Kris said:
Thanks for the kind words.

They are mostly drawn with photoshop.

I know that there are some dedicated map making tools and software packages out there ...but I kinda prefer drawing my own from scratch (even if it does take me way too long to get anything finished :heh: ).

Once again, your maps look great. Sorry (for me) to hear that they were made with Photoshop. Even if I had the resources to buy Photoshop, I don't have the skills to create anything that attractive with it. :(

I guess I'll just have to "steal" your maps. ;)

ZombieButch

First Post
Lhorgrim said:
Once again, your maps look great. Sorry (for me) to hear that they were made with Photoshop. Even if I had the resources to buy Photoshop, I don't have the skills to create anything that attractive with it. :(

I guess I'll just have to "steal" your maps. ;)

Actually, Adobe has been talking about releasing a free, ad-supported online version of Photoshop, similar to Googles Docs & Spreadsheets. I don't imagine it'll be as full-featured as the for-pay version (probably closer to Photoshop Elements) but I imagine it'll be more than enough for most folks. With a few techniques, you can crank out some perfectly usable maps in no time. Once you've got a template set up for them, you can make one of those old blue D&D style maps in a flash, for example, and folks have been using those for years!

Kris

Adventurer
For folks wanting to create their own layouts, I have been adding smaller rooms and passages to this page of my website:

http://www.enworld.org/CrookedStaffProductions/page19.html

I have designed them primarily to be loaded into the OpenRPG map window (software for playing rpg's online), but I suppose there is nothing stopping you using them to layout a dungeon map for your own notes (piecing them together could be done in something as simple as windows paint).

And I suppose I should apologise for all the annoying copyright stuff I have included on all the images :(

I'm not fond of adding it (as it spoils them a little), but some folks have tried passing my maps off as their own work in the past (which is kinda annoying) ...so it's left me little choice if I want to continue sharing the stuff I create.

(as you can see, I went overboard on a few of them ...probably when I was considering pulling all my stuff off the internet. So I should probably go back and make the copyright stuff a little less in your face on some of them :eek: ).

Kris

Adventurer
How can I print them to battlemap scale?
The easiest way would be to save one of the images (try one of the small 6x6 tiles on the website) to your computer.

Then open that tile with windows paint (or whatever).

From the menu along the top choose - Image > Stretch/Skew > and then stretch the image by 430% in each direction.

However they will look very blocky and not very good at all when printed at this scale :(

Remove ads