• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dying and Raise Dead...

ferratus

Adventurer
moticon said:
I've seen some pretty good threads debating how often PC's will die and Jason Buhlmahn indicates in his writeup that he believes it will be rare... I'd be interested in two reactions from everyone..

1. Do you think PC's will be at a lower risk of death, based on what you've seen?

Well, if death of PC's is going to be rare, I'll have to see how PC's stand up against "Crown of the Kobold King". Most of the monsters are converted, so I'll have to see if the PC's can survive till the end. I KNOW that you can't get through Crown of the Kobold King without resting with 3e characters.

Wolfwood2

Explorer
Angel of Adventure said:
Seriously, if there is no threat of death, I find the encounters less meaningful. Danger is part of the adventure! :]

Lots of people say this, but I'd like to know exactly what "threat of death" means.

Assuming that the PCs don't make any stupid mistakes, what is the desired chance that a particular PC will die from bad dice rolls?

10% per level?

5% per level?

1% per level?

Less? More? How likely does death need to be before it feels threatening enough for a fun adventure?

Henry

Autoexreginated
If 4e turns out actually facilitating grimmer gameplay through fewer "remove condition" magics and resurrections, I'm going to be so ticked off. My words are not soft and chewy, and do NOT taste good with ketchup.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Dragonblade said:
I believe the designer's said that raising is nigh impossible for heroic, and very difficult for paragon, but death is a speed bump for epic PCs. Thats about how it should be, IMO.
I really hope this is the case.

Given that they've added some sense to the levels of spells players receive, aka Fly being a high level spell because of the effects it has on game-play, I'm fairly confident they'll view resurrection as a very big deal.

Also: http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3871371&postcount=25

Some uber-broken spells are just simply gone.

Remove ads