• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dying Skyseer] A lead to Creed

hirou

Explorer
My group happened to explode poor Cillian Creed before actually discovering his identity, only having met him once in McBannin manor, which was very brief (players couldn't actually recognize his portrait later), so I'm thinking about giving them some additional clues about who the hell that Dark Man (how they called him) was. Current ideas that I'm playing with are:
-small metal plaque with his army designation/real name, found on the place of his death (army tag, probably embedded in his flesh during the incident that mutilated him; think Wolverine flashback scenes from X-men 2);
-horrible option - his pre-war name was Dirk Naillik (or Deerc Naillic, if I may);
-alternative option - his pre-war name actually was Roger Porter;
-his fake-but-convincing police badge may make his connection to Reed more or less obvious, depending on group IRL Int check; I made Roger Porter an actual police officer of Nettles, with reasoning that it's easier to dupe existing police badge (which carry minor enchantment as "proof of legitimacy") than to create it from scratch;
-obvious - rumors of sudden and tragic death of mayor's butler;
-tying Creed to more well-known to party NPC, so he wouldn't look like "butler ex machinae" later (I get "butler is killer" joke, but the party may not have enough humor left after all the trouble they were through); he may be McBannin's classmate in arcana studies, or, rather random, Grimsley's father (supposedly MIA since Third Yerasol War, actually moved to top secret espionage operations).

We're currently in a small hiatus as several players are out of the city, so I have some time to construct the most convincing story possible, any suggestions will be welcome.

ediz

Explorer
Since Creed is ex-RHC, you could have Delft come with the PCs and inspect the corpse and say, "I know him, he used to be on the force and his name was Cillian Creed." Then you could do some gather information checks and maybe his discharge papers with the RHC and the RTS(royal tax service ) to see where he was getting paid from and voila, his employer is Macbannin.

hirou

Explorer
Well, there's not much of him left after 23 grenades, and he looked like half-burned half-flayed man without his illusion, so it's unlikely that he can be recognized by anyone. Bur his potential link to RHC can be exploited, perhaps they can find a hint in constabulary archive

It could be as simple as "Wait, he stabbed you with a syringe? Did he happen to have a pistol too? I think I know who he was!" Can't be that many RHC operatives who stealthily inject folks with syringes in this day and age.

Remove ads