• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynamic Defenses [Idea]

Dalzig

First Post
This has been floating around in my head for a couple days.... Any thoughts on it appreciated.

Subtract 3 from all monster defenses. At the beginning of a monster's turn, roll a d6. Add this to that monster's defenses until the beginning of its next turn.

Simple, eh? Nothing like 3 sentences that creates a ton of work. The reason for coming up with this is that I like to be more narrative in combat. When players can figure out "Okay, its AC is 19, its Will is 14, and it has Regen 5," it grates on me. Using this would reduce that from happening.

Probably the biggest downsides to this are (1) more rolling/monster math and (2) could really hurt players. My players seem to miss enough already with their Daily and Encounter powers. A monster getting +3 to all defenses could really mess with them.

Possible alternatives:
  • Lower distance between changes (d3?).
  • Give out 'hidden bonuses/penalties' so the player's don't know exactly what they roll.

I did this in my WoBS campaign for a specific creature named 'Madness'. She is an avatar of...well, Madness. I had a spreadsheet open with a number of randomizers and would click a button at the start of her turn to set her current stats. It adjusted all defences, damage, to hit, and number of attacks....

End result? Well... I don't think it added sufficiently to the game experience and the constant 'damn, I forgot she has a +2 this round' detracted a bit.

The PC's were 3x at the time, but Madness was stated as a 4e critter. I don't think 4e PC's would change the experience.

For a non-randomish critter, I would prefer to use a couple of stances, allowing the narrative 'The monster draws back and raises his shield into position' to equal a "DMs Freind" adjustment. That way the players can see the change beforehand instead of 'well, I missed cause its random' afterwards.

If/when I use this idea, I will probably allow only 1 stance per INT mod.

FireLance

Legend
Don't roll at the start of the round. Roll secretly after the PC has made his attack roll. This way:

1. In the event you forget to roll, you have the normal static defense to use as a standard.

2. You don't have to roll if the PCs aren't openly metagaming and deducing the monster's defenses from the success or failure of their attack rolls.

I would advise being upfront about it with the players, though. Just telling them that you don't really like their open metagaming and you will institute this house rule if they continue may be enough to persuade them to keep their metagaming thoughts and deductions to themselves.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads