• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynasty Warriors netflix

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Dynasty Warriors is my favourite playstation game series, So when I discovered a Netflix movie based on the game I was excited to see their take on Wuxia fantasy set amidst epic scenes of battle in which warriors with legendary weapons can mow down 100s of enemy mooks in a single blow as they fight through gorgeous maps that recall the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The movie does give us grand sets, stylish wuxia combat and nods to the game in costuming, weapon design and music choice.
But there are only 2 major battles in the movies 2 hour run (Yellow Turban Rebellion and Battle of Hu Lao Gate) and a couple of smaller combats with the rest of the movie given over to some kind of exploration of the court intrigues and character introductions. Theres also a whole lot of weird scene jumps and strange chronology that will likely confuse anyone unfamiliar with the plot and its many many characters.

As a fan I enjoyed the movie, its a perfectly servicable wuxia movie, but I did think to myself, since they seemed to want to have more story, that making it 3 part series might have been a better option than a movie. As it is the movie is just a prologue, it ends abruptly without resolution with the words "Battle for the of Three Kingdoms commences"

I did think it showcased a good approach for highlighting PC action in mass combat, with the troops as background resource - using formation tactics to channel and isolate enemies. What game best captures the Dynasty Warriors approach to Wuxia in a TTRPG?

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Dynasty Warriors is my favourite playstation game series, So when I discovered a Netflix movie based on the game I was excited to see their take on Wuxia fantasy set amidst epic scenes of battle in which warriors with legendary weapons can mow down 100s of enemy mooks in a single blow as they fight through gorgeous maps that recall the Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The movie does give us grand sets, stylish wuxia combat and nods to the game in costuming, weapon design and music choice.
But there are only 2 major battles in the movies 2 hour run (Yellow Turban Rebellion and Battle of Hu Lao Gate) and a couple of smaller combats with the rest of the movie given over to some kind of exploration of the court intrigues and character introductions. Theres also a whole lot of weird scene jumps and strange chronology that will likely confuse anyone unfamiliar with the plot and its many many characters.

As a fan I enjoyed the movie, its a perfectly servicable wuxia movie, but I did think to myself, since they seemed to want to have more story, that making it 3 part series might have been a better option than a movie. As it is the movie is just a prologue, it ends abruptly without resolution with the words "Battle for the of Three Kingdoms commences"

I did think it showcased a good approach for highlighting PC action in mass combat, with the troops as background resource - using formation tactics to channel and isolate enemies. What game best captures the Dynasty Warriors approach to Wuxia in a TTRPG?
I really love to use the armies as environment is TTRPG mass combat, and then use noteworthy groups as mechanically legendary monsters that break apart when they suffer enough damage and flee/regroup, and sometimes have enemy Captains challenge a PC, or try to break a line that the PC is bolstering, etc.

Each round I have different events that can happen at certain spaces out intervals, usually at initiative 4, 8, 12, and the top of the round.

Basically lair actions occur, but also stuff like “on the Southern flank your shield wall is buckling. If the enemy gets through they will be able to rush your backfield.” And then i tell them when the situation will resolve without them. How many rounds they have to stop the thing from happening.

Remove ads