D&D General E. Gary Gygax auction Nov 2023

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I'm pretty sure Conan was created before the regular use of steroids my mesomophs interested in bulking up, so that makes sense. In most depictions of Conan I've seen from prior to 1982 depict him a muscular, yes, but lean and not at all bulky like a bodybuilder. One of the great ironies of modern body builders is when they look their best they're at their weakest. To achieve that look they starve and dehydrate themselves for a few days.
My mental image of Conan was heavily influenced by the art of John Buscema in the Marvel Comics series in the 1970s and 1980s.
Conan.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Conan is a fictional character and the author is dead, both literally and, per Roland Barthes, figuratively. So Conan looks however you imagine him. My Conan is the one from the Savage Sword magazine.
Well, sure. But the question was about Gygax's reaction to the movie, which is a great mocie: bit I can see it being annoying to someone who had read the stories for decades...particularly someone with as precise a visual imagination as Gygax.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
In the ancient world, the average man was between 5-2"-5'4" and somewhat less than 214 pounds. Imagine Aaron Rogers or Steph Curry in a world where Claude Raines was considered tall.
Yes, I was thinking about that. It's possible that Howard was basing the idea of 6' 2", 215 being "massive" and "heavily muscled" on a context of imagining ancient humans as puny compared to modern humans. But that's a bit at odds with a) Conan being able to wrestle apes, and b) Howard's idealization of primitive and savage man as strong and vital, and civilized man as corrupted and weaker.

Well, sure. But the question was about Gygax's reaction to the movie, which is a great mocie: bit I can see it being annoying to someone who had read the stories for decades...particularly someone with as precise a visual imagination as Gygax.
Yes, getting hung up on details like what color the character's eyes are vs the actor is a classic nerd failing. Failing to see the forest for the trees. Probably the bigger issue is that Schwarzenegger doesn't really convey Conan's intelligence.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, I was thinking about that. It's possible that Howard was basing the idea of 6' 2", 215 being "massive" and "heavily muscled" on a context of imagining ancient humans as puny compared to modern humans. But that's a bit at odds with a) Conan being able to wrestle apes, and b) Howard's idealization of primitive and savage man as strong and vital, and civilized man as corrupted and weaker.
I mean, 6'2" 220 pounds was also further outside the norm when Howard was writing thsn it is now, and it's still oretty impressive. And Howard wasn't exactly writing highly realistic stories.
Yes, getting hung up on details like what color the character's eyes are vs the actor is a classic nerd failing. Failing to see the forest for the trees. Probably the bigger issue is that Schwarzenegger doesn't really convey Conan's intelligence.
True that. Which is funny, because Schwarzenegger is actually fairly smart.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I mean, 6'2" 220 pounds was also further outside the norm when Howard was writing thsn it is now, and it's still oretty impressive. And Howard wasn't exactly writing highly realistic stories.
Howard himself was six feet, 180, right? About my size. I see guys in the 6'2", 220 range (usually heavier) every day. 🤷‍♂️ They're sizable, but not extraordinary.

True that. Which is funny, because Schwarzenegger is actually fairly smart.
Yes, his then-rough English enunciation and diction and the script should take some of the blame. There's a definite difference to the personality as conveyed on the page vs the screen.

Remove ads