• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E-Tools, nice but disappointing

I just picked up my coy of e-tools and while it is a nice program I am very disappointed. Epic is out and was hoping to be able to create my Epic Chars, but no such luck.

Also my main char is a Psion and this is not supported in E-Tools either.

Anyone else think that there should not have been a level cap and should include the psions?

Truthfully I think the old char. generator was actually easier to use. JMHO

Thank you

Jennifer

cptg1481

First Post
Character concepts not Flexible either

Since I am from the pre-PC generation and somewhat handicaped when it comes to these things, take this for what its worth.

If I'm just not using it properly please tell me how to fix my issue.

I have a 4th lvl 1/2Orc Ranger in a campaign and was so excited to get into the e-tools to make him "official", but I was hamstrung from the get go by several flaws.

1. When I gen up a 3rd level ranger it automatically selects my feats and skills for me, no prob I think...I can just take their pics out and put mine in right? Nope...

They give me 6 ranks in hide, move silently, and a couple more things. The problem is I can't seem be able to remove more than one point from any of these skills. It's simply not an option...I guess they think that's what I need or something.

Also for feats our DM lets 1/2 Orcs take scent...fine I just make it up from scratch and select it. This works fine, however, It thinks that I should have no choice about my other feat and makes me have Point Blank Shot, it won't let me switch it out for another, it is simply stuck there.

So needless to say I have parked the CD and given up all hope of getting past this mess. Also we use the suplements Masters of the Wild along with the others too, but alas they are not there.

I wonder why....my guess is so that they can sell me them one at a time for fifteen bucks a piece later,...wrong I already got ripped off for 35 big ones thank you very much.

This is my opinion only, like I said I may be so unskilled at PC use that I limit the program myself. If so please help me get past this!

:eek:

DynaMup

First Post
E-Tools isn't out yet over here, but I'm hearing so many disaster stories of it, I think I'm going to give it a miss.

I belong to the pre-PC generation of D&D gamers, and I use my computer for many aspects of campaign management, but for characters, I don't think you can beat the good old-fashioned way of sitting down with a book, dice, pen and a character sheet. I find it much more engaging than any computer program! :rolleyes:

mattcolville

Adventurer
Re: Character concepts not Flexible either

cptg1481 said:
Since I am from the pre-PC generation and somewhat handicaped when it comes to these things, take this for what its worth.

If I'm just not using it properly please tell me how to fix my issue.

I think you've picked Generate a Character as opposed to Create A Character. One makes instant NPCs (in exactly the same way you'd do it! I just takes the data from the sample NPCs in the DMG!) the other makes normal characters.

Donatello

Explorer
E-Tools has a very steep learning curve; a bad thing for a product with no noteworthy documentation.

My copy also crashes near-constantly. It seems I can't generate a stat block or play with the feats of a character without crashing at least once. Homerules, races, treasure... all no problem. As soon as blocks or characters come in to it, it's a crapshoot if I'll be able to finish.

It also requires rudimentary MS Access knowledge to do any really cool customization work with the house rules.

Overall I give it a 6.5 (which is better than the 3 I gave it the first day... like I said, very steep learning curve) out of 10.

gariig

First Post
I just started to play with my copy and it works pretty well.

The 1/2 orc guy, pick the second icon in (the norse looking helm). That is the Character Creator as opposed to the Character Generator.

For the guy having problems with the stat block, make sure you are running IE6 and get any service packs out for it.

The Character Generator is the only disappointing part. I was hoping to get a little more random with feat selection and what not and not just DMG NPCs, but they are good for mooks. Also, being able to "cast" spells on NPCs and get the new stat blocks, that would have been nice for higher level ones where 5-6 buff spells can be active. Overall, I'm satisfied for now, plus the community is working hard to get stuff into it and hopefully Fluid will play along.

Gariig

Breakdaddy

First Post
Donatello said:
E-Tools has a very steep learning curve; a bad thing for a product with no noteworthy documentation.

Are we using the same E-Tools? I find it buggy as hell but very easy to use. PCGen is a better generator, but has a steeper learning curve. Just my .02

bitz

First Post
Level 20+ Chracters... Yeah, not supported yet, but it never claimed to do so. Epic Level info just came out only a month ago!

As far as Psionics and Psions, you're right. It isn't in there yet. Most assurably will be some sort of add-on or hack. I already have figured out how to do the powers and feats, and I'm sure the Class wouldn't be too difficult. The most glaring problems would be the missing Power Points.

But officially, nope. Not in there. At least I can see relatively easy patches that can bring the functionality in though.

Kai Lord

Hero
bitz said:
Level 20+ Chracters... Yeah, not supported yet, but it never claimed to do so. Epic Level info just came out only a month ago!

As far as Psionics and Psions, you're right. It isn't in there yet. Most assurably will be some sort of add-on or hack. I already have figured out how to do the powers and feats, and I'm sure the Class wouldn't be too difficult. The most glaring problems would be the missing Power Points.

But officially, nope. Not in there. At least I can see relatively easy patches that can bring the functionality in though.

Manyshot can be taken as early as level 6, but yeah its from the ELH. My question is does the program let you write in your own Feats, or do you have to select from the stock list?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads