[e20 PF] And with strange aeons...

fireinthedust

Explorer
Between the days of the death of the god Aroden and the finding of the Star Stone, and the days of the founding of the kindgoms of air, stone, and darkness, the world of Golarion saw an age of heroes undreamed of by those coming before or since. The shining kingdoms of Taldor with its great thinkers and freedoms; or devil-bound Cheliax with its slave armies; or winter-choked Irisen and the land of the Linnorm Kings, and their war between barbarian tribes and ice witches; or Varisia, wanderers and tribesmen dwelling atop the ruins of sleeping Thassilon; and greatest of them all, the city of Absalom, mausoleum to Aroden, home of the Star Stone, wherein Caiden and Iomedae were raised to the heavens as gods.

Hither came the Broken Eagles, adventurers, plunderers, slayers, and heroes, possessed of great wrath and great mirth; who stormed across the world to trample its kings and dragons beneath their sandaled feet.

This is their tale, a last chapter in the story of this age when a darkness would reach out to swallow all that was, and toss the ruins of man into the churning sea. So it had been with all kingdoms, that would rise and peak, and decline unto corruption, until new life would strike it down and rise up in its stead. So it was with kingdoms before humanity. So should it not be when humanity's time is nigh?

fireinthedust

Explorer
ooc: just going to start this off running. In short: the group is meeting to discuss whether Malacarus should be allowed to remain with them. Obviously, the group will allow it. However, I don't need everyone to *agree* with this. Feel free to make up standard adventuring events, as if making up episodes of an epic TV series staring this group: schemes Malacarus tried (that you thwarted), etc.

Malacarus: You really want/need their help. You and I know why, so play this up!

fireinthedust

Explorer
The Githyanki had attacked this world, and the only ones to rise to fight them and win were the Broken Eagles. Their island home still floated above Golarion, long after the last dragon had been slain, and the last raiders had been thrown from the edge to fall to their deaths. Now the spartan fortress was claimed by the Broken Eagles; those that called it their home, and those who merely kept contact with old friends or used it as a refuge or safe house. Each had their own Magnificent Mansion here, yet the mundane fortress still had its battlements and the castle in its center.

In the central tower the Broken Eagles had met, at a great table where the raiders' leaders had supped spoils of their conquests and planned their attacks.

Now the greatest warriors and mages of the world met, around this table, to decide the fate of one man chained to a chair at one end. The cold iron chains had been left by the raiders, designed to help interrogate mages by stopping their ability to cast spells.

Now they held Malacarus, arguably one of the world's mightiest Necromancers, most vile villains, a death-mage and a dark elf!

The other chairs, or at least standing above them, included the other Broken Eagles. The argument? that Malacarus, their ancient foe, had come begging for their sanctuary, their help! Were they lies? Or were these the pleas of one in need?

Lughart

First Post
"What good, indeed?" Gerhard is standing beside the table, too angry to sit. "This man, this fiend should not be allowed to breathe the air of our home, much less soil it with his presence! If you ask me, a quick death would be a kindness." He leans in close to Malacarus' face. "What is the purpose of you coming here?"

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Thadeius frowns at the drow, feeling the tuggings of old racial and personal enemities, but the elven mage has largely transcended such petty things his intellect making him more - in his opinion - than an elf. And uncomfortably the same can likely be said of the drow, while he is obviously not an intellectual equal he is a close approximate.

Why would he risk coming here? Surely he could not hope to prevail against the Master of the Counterspell, with the full force of the Broken Eagle's elite behind him. And assuredly Malacarus would be aware of that fact. So either the drow had some genuine reason for coming crawling to his bitter foes, or he had some new gambit Thadeius had not anticipated, entirely possible, but by its very nebulous nature almost impossible to account for.

"Gentlemen, a Wizard is a terrible thing to waste. We should at least here Malarchus out before we rush to judgment, and in any case I am sure he is all too aware of the fate that awaits him should he fail to satisfy us with his explanation."

[sblock=OOC]Readied action to counterspell should Malarchus begin to use any kind of spell effect.[/sblock]

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
Lune Xanfire, who has been quiet for sometime now, thinks to himself.

There is only one thing bothering me. Why would he come here? He has escaped us how many times now. We thwarted many of his plans. The question now becomes, what would drive him to out of hiding to us?

And Iomedae still will not answer my prayers for guidance... What is going on here?

Xanfire looks at the hilt in his hand, and tries to ignite its power. However, nothing happens. The Light of Iomedae stopped glowing after their last encounter with Malacarus. Try as he might, the sword will not re-ignite its holy flame.

Xanfire finally stands up and puts his hand on Gerhard's shoulder.

We need to listen to what he says first. Now, Malacarus, explain yourself.

WarlockLord

First Post
Malacarus stares at the assembled group, trying to keep the contempt for these fools out of his eyes. He allowed himself a small mental grin at Gerhard's expense. Gathering himself, he speaks

"Well, gentleman" he says," "and lady, I have come before you today to admit that, in this world, as much as it pains my ego to admit it, there are far worse things than I. After that last defeat at your hands I found myself questioning whether my current position was truly worth pursuing.

"And so I come before you today, humbled in spirit, wondering whether the pursuit of power over others is truly worth it. For I bring news of a far more powerful opponent, one who challenges even my best abilities to harm your little band. A terrible being, wielding an talisman of great power has come to this world, and I see no reason to allow it to threaten my citizens any longer. I shall fight with or without you. Would you, priest, allow the deaths of thousands, no, millions upon your conscience? Any of you who believe yourselves good?"

[sblock=dm]How much are those chains blocking spellcasting? [/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"Humbled in spirit," repeats a quiet voice sarcastically from a shadowed alcove. "You, Malacarus, humbled in spirit. I thought I'd never see the day."

Thorn emerges from the recession, pale of skin and clad in black and grey armor and clothes. Shadows clung to her unnaturally, like water clings to someone climbing out of a lake. Her gleaming black eyes never wavered from the bound drow before her.

"Oh," she added. "I still haven't."

"Please, Malacarus. You're not humbled. You just want us to fight this thing for you. If we win, we'll be so weakened you'll finish us. If we lose, the monster will be ripe for conquest, and you claim this talisman."

She grinned, showing white teeth.

"Though I give you points for actually showing up HERE to give your story some wings. That's gutsier than I had you pegged for."

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Thadeius shakes his head and says in a brisk irritated tone, "Elaborate."

Truly the drow's arrogance is astounding, the nerve to think he is a match for Thadeius Vararran, let alone the Broken Eagles... Ah, but then perhaps he is not the only one to be afflicted with arrogance a Wizard must guard against such swellings of ego. And in truth he would be a test for Thadeius, even if the Counterspeller's focus on battling spell casters would likely give him an edge.

Remove ads