• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

e20

Flobby

Explorer
Have you seen this e20 thing?
Here's a link in case you missed it.

e20: System Evolved

I don't know, looking at the FAQ it looks pretty cool though - I hope it gets enough funding. Just thought I'd help spread the word!

(And no I don't know the author, in case this looks like some sort of promotional effort...)

Dausuul

Legend
Interesting, but I'm not sold on it yet.

While it's hard to tell from the small amount of information given, I think the author is failing to question some of the core assumptions of the d20 system. Chief among these is the power curve. d20 is based on D&D, and D&D has a very steep power curve by RPG standards. Even in 4E, which did a lot to flatten the curve, a really high-level character can take on a hundred or more low-level foes.

This is appropriate to D&D's particular brand of fantasy, and there are other genres such as heroic pulp action where it might fit. But there are plenty of genres, even other types of fantasy, to which it is not at all appropriate. A Call of Cthulhu investigator, no matter how experienced and skilled, should not be able to take down a dozen shoggoths or even a dozen crazed cultists in hand-to-hand combat.

One can of course simply slow down advancement or apply a level cap, but then the players get frustrated because they have no sense of progress. A game built from the start with the intention of a shallow power curve offers rewards designed not to upset that curve, allowing PCs to grow and develop in a mechanical sense without overturning the setting assumptions.

This is one of the reasons I've long felt d20 was not a good fit for many types of RPG, and I don't see anything to suggest e20 will be any different. Which then leads me to ask: Is there really a niche for this product? Or will it just end up competing with Pathfinder and Trailblazer for the "heroic-fantasy 4E alternative" market? If the latter, what will make it better?

Going to think about it some more and send the author some questions. Any answers I get, I'll post here.

Last edited:

Flobby

Explorer
Yeah I agree that I find it hard to believe that it will be truly genre-neutral. It best it might fit fantasy/sci-fi/etc. environments but it still sounds like it would be heroic. I'm looking forward to see how it develops. The one thing I dislike about 4E (I do like it as a whole) is the powers... Talents seem much more versatile.

resistor

First Post
FWIW, GM Sarli was an author of SW SAGA edition, and the FAQ has been significantly expanded since what it was originally.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Oh this game will have options for many different genre's... sci-fi, modern, fantasy are the three big ones, along with options for magic, psionics, super powers, and of course having options for different tech levels and historical eras, as well as campaign options for a wide variety of different campaign settings.

If this was just another fantasy game, or just another sci-fi game I sure wouldn't be a part of it... There's enough of that out there already that use the d20 system. It's time for e20 to come out. :)

And it's going to be real fun and real awesome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads