• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6 Campaign - What to do with all that gold?

an_idol_mind

Explorer
Cerulean_Wings said:
Thank you for the recommendations, an_idol_mind, I'll see how I can manage them in my campaign. The issue, though, is that giving them hirelings will make battles easier, and I don't know if I want that to happen.

I don't recall about the upkeep rules in the DMG, would you mind reminding me on how they work, along with an example or two?

The upkeep rules are intended as a quick way to keep track of assumed costs such as boarding expenses, armor and weapon repair, and so on. The rule is on page 130 of the 3.5 DM's Guide. Essentially, PCs get charged a certain amount of gold each month depending on their living conditions. The amounts range from self-sufficient (2gp per month) to extravagant (200gp per month). Those costs are somewhat minor in most D&D games, but they can add up quickly -- especially if there's a lot of downtime between adventures.

I would also recommend discussing PC motivations with the players. In my own campaign setting, where magical items can't be easily purchased, one character has spent her gold on financing a wizard's academy, buying out the contract of an indentured servant (and also romance interest), and brewing up booby-trapped magical items to send to her enemies. If the players are willing, I'm sure they can find a million different uses for their gold.

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
an_idol_mind said:
I would also recommend discussing PC motivations with the players. In my own campaign setting, where magical items can't be easily purchased, one character has spent her gold on financing a wizard's academy, buying out the contract of an indentured servant (and also romance interest), and brewing up booby-trapped magical items to send to her enemies. If the players are willing, I'm sure they can find a million different uses for their gold.

An interesting and innovative idea, methinks. I'll keep that in mind, too :)

According to your view, in low-magic games I should hand out as much gold as usual, then?

Palskane

First Post
Also, remember that there is a difference in "low-magic" and "low-magic item" games. It is easy to make a game centered around the fact that magic does not reach the upper echelons of power... but that doesn't mean that items enchanted with magic are necessarily rare. There are surely those that will spend much of their career making items, simply because they can make money at it.

As mentioned above, it will most likely work best if items are simply more expensive.

White Whale

First Post
Cerulean_Wings said:
My question is, then: does anyone have any recommendations about things the PC's could spend gold on, besides whatever magical items they can buy?
Stronghold, gambling, hirelings, bribes, artwork, become a banker...

Ry

Explorer
Aust Diamondew said:
I think everyone is missing the two most obvious things: beer and whores.
Yeah, I miss them too. But I traded them for wife, kids, and turkey dinners.

I stand by my decision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads