• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6 Looking for opinions and advice

rusty2667

First Post
I was drawn to this site by the below thread because I'm thinking of changing an existing homebrew to the E6 sub-system.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-legacy-discussion/275431-e6-generic-classes.html

I'm interested in hearing anybody's experiences with E6 in general (good or bad). Also, I'm particularly concerned with core class balance as related to the tier system.

If needed, here's a definition of the tier system that I use:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0

Dandu

First Post
It's not really bad, but the only way for you to know for certain is to play it yourself.

It's more balanced than standard high level play, assuming you regularly have parties with a mixture of high and low tier classes.

rusty2667

First Post
It's more balanced than standard high level play, assuming you regularly have parties with a mixture of high and low tier classes.

I wanted to nix tier 1 & 2, except the Sorcerer. Then allow the lower tiered classes to use extra feats (as described in the E6 Generic Classes thread) to balance it out. This would allow certain abilities of higher tiered classes to be represented.

My most specific concern of the moment is figuring out how many and what kind of extra feats I give to the other core classes while keeping things balanced with the Sorcerer. But I was also hoping to get general feedback about E6 since it's a pretty, new idea to me. As a DM, it seems I can be more flexible. Not so sure what some players may think of this system.

Dandu

First Post
You might want to keep tier 1 and tier 2 if this is your first time doing E6 just so you can get an idea of what it's like.

Vegepygmy

First Post
I'm interested in hearing anybody's experiences with E6 in general (good or bad)./QUOTE]My group tried an E6 campaign. I thought it was great, but unfortunately the campaign didn't last too long (for reasons unrelated to E6). I would definitely try it again.

wotmaniac

First Post
since you'll be limited to 3rd level spells, you're not gonna notice any significant imbalances (since such imbalances typically don't really start to pronounce themselves until later) -- that is, not unless you have players who are uber-tweeks who don't know how to play nice.

special note -- the feats that I am developing on the generic thread are really only meant for generic classes. I wouldn't recommend them for standard classes. However, if you want to develop some that replicate the first 1 or 2 levels of various PrCs, then knock yourself out (I'm actually gonna be doing quite a few once I'm done with the base classes) -- just keep in mind that this is gonna bump up the power level of the game just a little bit (so be prepared). For the "PrC feats", make sure that you set strict prereqs (such as standard prereqs for the PrC + any relevant capstone feats). If the character wouldn't normally be able to qualify (level-wise), then it's probably a bad idea (so no deathless frenzy or prismatic veils).

:twocents:

I'm a huge fan of the idea of E6. Most of my 3E experience is in playing and DMing the first six levels of the game. I'm running The Shackled City, now, though. So, I plan on running the higher levels.

Some links of interest you might find useful concerning E6:

A thread started by the originator of the E6 concept Ryan Stoughton:
Epic Sixth: The Game Inside the World's Most Popular RolePlaying Game

An article from The Alexandrian that talks about the scope of power (level-wise) in D&D as compared to the real world and arguments for the idea that practically all heroes and villains of fantasy, swords-n-sorcery, etc... are of less than sixth level.
D&D: Calibrating Your Expectations

And, a quote from Gary Gygax that supports the idea that he believed that characters of sixth level and higher were really, really powerful.

Gary Gygax said:
"Inform those players who have opted for the magic-user prefession that they have just completed a course of apprenticeship with a master who was of unthinkably high level (at least 6th!)" -- Gary Gygax, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide, page 39.

Hope you find this all helpful.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
E6 class balance is reasonably well maintained among the classes, as well as vs most monsters in that play range. It's "Man-in-Black vs Inigo Montoya" out of whack rather than "Superman vs Batman" out of whack at high levels.

Unless players are really trying to game the system, I doubt you need to be terribly concerned about the relative effectiveness of the classes.

rusty2667

First Post
Glad to hear people have had good experiences with the sub-system. If anyone has a link to an E6 campaign or homebrew, I'd really appreciate seeing it.

the feats that I am developing on the generic thread are really only meant for generic classes.

I will be stealing your feats and adjust them to suit my campaign, Thank you and keep'em coming! :)

For the "PrC feats", make sure that you set strict prereqs (such as standard prereqs for the PrC + any relevant capstone feats). If the character wouldn't normally be able to qualify (level-wise), then it's probably a bad idea (so no deathless frenzy or prismatic veils).

I'd like to make the fighter a more interesting option to play by making some cleric spells/powers available to him/her. These powers would be available after 3rd, so it would translate into a couple of low level spells or turning low level undead. This would give the PrC an extra trick up his sleeve. The same could be done for the Monk and Druid's powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads