• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogBackward

First Post
What would be so bad about just saying that Ability Training gives +1, then Improved Ability Training gives a stacking +1? Sure, somebody could take a +1 to an odd stat, but is that really so bad? If somebody has an odd score, why should they have to waste a feat and get an ability point they don't need? They can't use level-based increases to shore it up, so they're stuck with an odd score they don't want.

Personally, I think I'm just going to have Ability Training provide a +1 Inherent bonus, allow it to be taken multiple times and stack, with a maximum of +5 to any one ability. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
DogBackward said:
What would be so bad about just saying that Ability Training gives +1, then Improved Ability Training gives a stacking +1? Sure, somebody could take a +1 to an odd stat, but is that really so bad? If somebody has an odd score, why should they have to waste a feat and get an ability point they don't need? They can't use level-based increases to shore it up, so they're stuck with an odd score they don't want.

Personally, I think I'm just going to have Ability Training provide a +1 Inherent bonus, allow it to be taken multiple times and stack, with a maximum of +5 to any one ability. But that's just me.

I don't know if I want PCs raising things that much, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to have Ability Training that grants +1 to a stat, able to be taken once per stat, and then Greater Ability Training, prereq Ability Training, that also provides +1 to that stat, ablle to be taken once per stat.

It mirrors feats like Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus and Spell Penetration quite well, I think.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Oh, and while I'm getting tired of adding these tiny houserule fixes (as they really don't overly affect the system as a whole), I'm going to try one more time to fix the fighter, completely OGL.

Change the fighter level prereqs for Greater Weapon Focus/Specialization to "fighter level 6".

Change the "BAB +8" requirement in Improved Critical to "fighter level 6".

Doesn't require any additional splatbooks, it removes a few PHB feats from the "useless to E6" list - it's all good.

Dragonblade275

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Oh, and while I'm getting tired of adding these tiny houserule fixes (as they really don't overly affect the system as a whole), I'm going to try one more time to fix the fighter, completely OGL.

Change the fighter level prereqs for Greater Weapon Focus/Specialization to "fighter level 6".

Change the "BAB +8" requirement in Improved Critical to "fighter level 6".

Doesn't require any additional splatbooks, it removes a few PHB feats from the "useless to E6" list - it's all good.
I'd probably do that, too, for E6. I don't really see how that would unbalance anything too much. And, the fighter would be a valuable class by having access to Improved Critical, too.

Kunimatyu said:
I don't know if I want PCs raising things that much, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to have Ability Training that grants +1 to a stat, able to be taken once per stat, and then Greater Ability Training, prereq Ability Training, that also provides +1 to that stat, ablle to be taken once per stat.

It mirrors feats like Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus and Spell Penetration quite well, I think.
And the epic feat that grants +1 to a stat can be taken multiple times, so I don't feel it will be unreasonable.

DogBackward

First Post
The game I plan on starting one RPoL is going to be a psionics-only game (a recent decision). Have you tested E6 out using psionics? If so, are there any different things that need to be accounted for?

One thing I think is that the Increased Manifesting could allow new powers learned without worrying about keeping more of lower levels or anything. Most fully augmented low-level powers are nearly as powerful as the higher level powers, so that shouldn't be a problem, especially with only three power levels available. I think I'd just use the "learn three levels worth of powers" option, and leave it at that.

Anyway, if you haven't tested it using psionics, i'll be sure and let you know if there are any differences. As I said before, though, it may be a while since RPoL is slower than normal gaming.

Ry

Explorer
I haven't tested it with psionics, but I am HIGHLY, HIGHLY interested in how an all-psionics E6 game would look. Do let me know what your setting is like, too.

DogBackward

First Post
Well... I like to do at least semi-original stuff, so it'll be a little different than your usual background. I'll beusing a monotheistic settin for the main "goodguy culture", with the only ones able to use psionics being those who have been "blessed" with a small piece of the main deity's soul. This also allows the deity to speak with them mentally, which adds a great way to convey plothooks as well as add a cool new element to the game. Any psionic character could well have their god's voice commenting on their actions and such through the entire game.

I also want to get away from teh ubiquitous nature of crystals. I'll keep a small group that still use crystals for power, but I think it lends a bit too much of a sci-fi feel to have them all over the place. In generaly, I'm gonna treat psionics much more mystically than most think of it. It's not a science, it's quite literally a blessing from God.

Once I get the game going, actually, I'll post a link to it here for you. I'll leave all the posts public, so anybody that wants to check out the game in action can pop in and look around.

DogBackward

First Post
Uh... I have no idea what that means.

Anyway, random thought... this system would be just about perfect for Eberron. One of the main ideas is that anything above level 5 is very rare, right? I've always thought that the PC's being so much higher level than anybody else kinda ruins that effect, especially since once you have to start creating higher-level threats, that whole idea falls flat.

With E6, nobody anywhere is above level six, without being monstrous in some way. So, it really enforces the idea of incredibly power being incredibly rare. And those big beasties in Eberron that are supposed to scare the crap out of everyone? Well, they really do, now.

I don't like running other peoples' settings (I got Eberron for material to steal...), but I still think E6 would be great for those who do run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads