• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D (with PDFs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zag01

First Post
Sorcica said:
See, I 've been considering something like this as well, since I can't make my mind up on E6 or E8. I also thought about adding a level after X thousand XP's and letting character's get the feats in the meantime. What's holding me back at this time is the fact that Sorcerers get shafted big time, as wizards (and clerics) will run around with the potentially troublesome 4th level spells for quite a while before sorcerers get the chance.

However, the solution is good for other classes, as we rogues get another sneak, and we don't need feats that give virtual BAB and a lot of those cool feats that require 12 ranks in a skill becomes available.

Man, this E-thingie is keeping me awake at night :)

I don't think the sorcerers will feel that shafted. They're a level behind (by the books) and they know it.

My plan is to play a modified E6 but really cap at 8th. Since it takes another 5,000 xp to get from 5th level to 6th I was going to start the 5k benchmarks then. So 5k xp after 6th they get a feat, then 5k more = 7th level, +5k=feat, +5k=8th level, then just feats from then on.

Ry

Explorer
There's the tradeoff: E6 and the fighter discussion, E8 and the meatier mooks and the 4th level spells.

knight_isa

First Post
If I can talk my players into it, I'm thinking I'll start with E6 (hard cap, not lean-upwards). We're about to start a new, thus-far-undecided campaign anyway. We'll run it until about 6+5, and evaluate it. If we're happy, we'll continue with E6, but if not, we'll bump it up to E8 (adding levels 7 and 8 before returning to feats) and try that out. At the moment there's only two players, so our experience may vary from the normal-sized group, but I'll be sure to post feedback once I have some (probably several months out given our normal schedule).

rycanada said:
There's the tradeoff: E6 and the fighter discussion, E8 and the meatier mooks and the 4th level spells.
Don't know if I agree with the meatier mooks, as I've posted earlier. If you keep them NPC classes, they will be pretty mook-ey against an 8th level PC.

I'm really toying with the idea of giving out a level at +10 feats and another at +20. This will make PC's CR 12 and truly epic - heads and shoulders above anyone else, and capable of taking on nasties no sane man would stand against - but still mortal and vulnerable to mooks.

Since none of my players ever play Sorcerers, the problem of Wizards getting 4th level spells 50k XP before Sorcs is probably academic.

Also still toying with letting 4th level slots only be usable for metamagic.

(E6 still keeps me awake at night)

P.S. Knight Isa, that sounds like a great plan!

green slime

First Post
Started a game of GE6erron on the weekend.

Nothing interesting to reveal yet (only 1st level). Will get back in 6 months with results.

Ry

Explorer
knight_isa said:
If I can talk my players into it, I'm thinking I'll start with E6 (hard cap, not lean-upwards). We're about to start a new, thus-far-undecided campaign anyway. We'll run it until about 6+5, and evaluate it. If we're happy, we'll continue with E6, but if not, we'll bump it up to E8 (adding levels 7 and 8 before returning to feats) and try that out. At the moment there's only two players, so our experience may vary from the normal-sized group, but I'll be sure to post feedback once I have some (probably several months out given our normal schedule).

This is a very good idea. Looks like about 6 months from now we'll start to see a deluge of playtesting feedback; this is a good thing. :)

Animus

Explorer
I'm also running a GE6erron game. It's a solo game with 2 NPCs to fill the party, but I might be getting two more players. Currently at level 2.

Morrius

First Post
Something I noticed for your "Players roll all the dice" rule is that you add 12 to a monster's abilities to generate a score for them, while UA adds 11. Why 12? Other than it makes things a little harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads