• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E6: The Game Inside D&D

Ry

Explorer
Heh. "Now we're cooking with coal!"

Rock. On.

I'm soon going to be running a new E6 game online, using it as a baseline to test the new version of the Raising the Stakes rules.

I am running a pathfinder game for E8. So far, we are only in the first module, so no different from any other game, except that some of the feat choices folks are making are different than I have noticed in past games. I prefer E8 (with blocking a few spell choices) than E6. We will see how it works out after the third module, and I will let folks know. My players are ALL for this.

skippy

Ry

Explorer
Emryys said:
Cool... What format* are you gonna be using?

*VGT, Chat, PbP, etc...
Skype and Maptool (from RPTools) actually. Maptool is the program I've been waiting for - doesn't get bogged down in itself, it does a simulated tabletop and doesn't try to be anything else.

Ry

Explorer
My 3,512th post will be my last on EN World at least through to the end of 2008. If you have any questions about E6 or my other hacks, please feel free to e-mail me.

I have really enjoyed bringing E6 out of the depths, and I want to thank everyone who's tried E6, Raising the Stakes, and crazy rules by other designers for getting out there and making the rules serve your game. New editions and new business models don't change this hobby - you do.

See you around,
Ryan Stoughton

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Thats too bad Ryan, E6 is just a lovely Idea, and I have enjoyed tinkering with it.
I wonder if you are taking a year off enworld, off gaming or what?
Quite a new years resolution for someone who has been here since 2002.
Anyway good luck to you and your family.

modus666

First Post
question about expanding spellcasting abilities

there are serverl feats as presented in "complete arcane" which allow the spellcaster taking the feat to either learn an additional spell of his next-to-highest level known, or gain a spell slot of his next-to-highest level. these feats can be taken multiple times.

how would these interact in an e6 environment? should they be limited or disallowed? thoughts?

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
modus666 said:
there are serverl feats as presented in "complete arcane" which allow the spellcaster taking the feat to either learn an additional spell of his next-to-highest level known, or gain a spell slot of his next-to-highest level. these feats can be taken multiple times.

how would these interact in an e6 environment? should they be limited or disallowed? thoughts?
Well, looks like I'm showing up late to the e6 party, what with the creator being on hiatus, but I'd still like to take a stab at that question:

Since the next-to-highest spell level is always 2nd and caster level is always 6th, I can't see a ton of extra spell slots being much more unbalancing than Scribe Scroll or Craft Wand. Even in e6, epic characters shouldn't have much trouble regularly paying for scrolls and wands. In a way, those items already provide the equivalent of extra spell slots.

On the other hand, I was thinking it might make sense to rule that e6 characters cannot take the same feat twice in a row. Or, if you're a stricter GM, maybe they can't take the same feat more than six times. (I picked six because it's e6, not e-something else.)

knight_isa

First Post
modus666 said:

I don't think that they should be limited at all. A boatload of 2nd level spells isn't going to change the world, even in E6. Given that some of the suggested "capstone feats" from the first post grant a spell known or slot of the character's highest level, it would seem that other think that a boatload of 3rd level spells wont shake things up too much, either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads